Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Homepage Hijacked by Claro-Search

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Firefox Homepage Hijacked by Claro-Search

• RESETTING DOES NOT WORK**

Hello, I can recently acquired the Search Engine Malware? (I think it is a Malware)

http://isearch.claro-search.com/?affID=114169&tt=120812_bandext_3312_4&babsrc=HP_iclro&mntrId=907087...

I can not for the life of me take back the "HOMEPAGE" I have searched around everywhere and found how to take over the "NEW TAB" issue and it is back to Google.ca.

But I have yet to find a single issue with the Homepage being automatically hijacked and sending me straight back to the website no matter what I do to change the URL.

I have done the following things.

1: Removed the Toolbar from Add-ons

2: Removed the Toolbar from Control Panel

3: Shut down my computer and rebooted into Safe Mode - Networking to run Malware and other virus scanners.

4: Changed my Hosts File

5: Turned on Firefox in Safe-Mode resetting all defaults.

6: Changed the URL several times. ____________________________________________________

I can set the homepage to "Blank" which solves the issue. BUT I want Claro off my computer for good not just covered up with settings.

NOTE: I do not have expert knowledge in computerized configuration so I am at a lose into doing something like Manually checking my systems files and such to remove this issue.

If you know how to fix this, Please be detailed and simple.

Also! If i type anything into the search bar incorrectly it automatically uses iSearch-Claro to search for results.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox Homepage Hijacked by Claro-Search

Is that the search bar on the about:home page?

If there is a problem with searching via the default about:home page then try to reset the search engine used on the about:home page.

Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.

1. Open the about:config page via the location bar
  2. Type in the Filter bar: mstone
  3. Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
  4. Close and restart Firefox

If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
49 REPLIES
Site Moderator

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

New User

Still hoping somebody can help me while READING my post.

Site Moderator

So you did the Full Firefox Reset? (It's totally different than the Reset in Firefox Safe Mode).

Try this:

Download and Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, run a full Scan. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Download and Run TDSSKiller http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

Download and Install Microsoft Security Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials (not an official endorsement, but I personally recommend MSE as an awesome permanent anti-virus)

Double check for all Windows Updates.

New User

Yes I did a complete Default Settings 3 times! (All Toolbars reset, All search engines Reset & All Extensions Reset)

I have MalwareBytes PRO and did numerous FULL scans in Normal and Safe mode - Networking, I came up with 84 items found and removed.

I tried TDSS and came up with nothing just now.

I will try MSE and get back to you later on when it finishes downloading but I doubt it will help me with the only issue that remains Which is iSearch-Claro automaticallY directing me to it's search engine every time I open my Homepage or fail to type a correct URL.

Site Moderator

so to confirm, you went to about:support, and clicked Reset Firefox? If you haven't done exactly that, can you do it?

Can you put the contents of about:support into this thread?

New User

I did, It was on the side.

New User

There were no problems with MSE

Shooting Star

Malwarebytes has found that BHO (browser hijacker object) for others in various other forums, but for some reason it did not do so for you.

You should probably ask for assistance from a forum specializing in malware removal. Three such sites are listed at the bottom of this:

Whichever forum you choose:

• Be sure that you read and follow their rules/guidelines for posting.
  • Be sure that you do exactly as they request.
  • Be sure to check back frequently as your question/thread may get closed if they do not hear from you.

If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.

Site Moderator

Is that the search bar on the about:home page?

If there is a problem with searching via the default about:home page then try to reset the search engine used on the about:home page.

Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.

1. Open the about:config page via the location bar
  2. Type in the Filter bar: mstone
  3. Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
  4. Close and restart Firefox

If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder