Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 31 (Ubuntu) won't open new window or Javascript pop-ups

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox 31 (Ubuntu) won't open new window or Javascript pop-ups

Hi, I am running Firefox 31.0 in Ubuntu 14.04 having the following problem:

1) When I click on New Window or New Private Window in the File menu, nothing happens, same with pressing Ctrl-N. 2) Certain websites are not able to open new windows or pop-up windows through Java or Javascript (e.g. the command: javascriptSmiley Tongueopup_imp(...) does not produce anything)

I did try safe-mode and there everything works fine. Then I restarted firefox (several times) with all plugins disabled but still had the same problem, so I don't know what causes the difference between safe-mode and no plugins.

(By the way, there is no problem opening a New Tab by pressing Ctrl-T or from the file menu, the issue is only the New Window and New Private Window).

Is there any other way to narrow down what is preventing the new windows?

4 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox 31 (Ubuntu) won't open new window or Javascript pop-ups

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.

• Switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
  • Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window
New Contributor

Hi cor-el,

thanks for your answer, however as I explained in my post, safe-mode does not present the problem, but disabling the extensions on its own does not help (i.e with all extensions disabled the problem still is there). Also, I did not have this problem in the past and I did not change anything graphics related (unless something was changed software-wise internally and I did not notice). And yes I am currently using the default theme.

Site Moderator

What is this plugin about?

This plugin provides integration with Gnome Shell for live extension enabling and disabling. It can be used only by extensions.gnome.org
New Contributor

This is a plugin for gnome support on Ubuntu. I think it was automatically installed with the gnome package.