cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 19.0.2 freezes, locks up for 30 to 90 seconds when on YouTube or certain other pages.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox 19.0.2 freezes, locks up for 30 to 90 seconds when on YouTube or certain other pages.

Every time that I try to get on YouTube or certain other sites, Firefox locks up for at least 60 seconds. Eventually I have to use Task Manager to close firefox. Then I have to go to IE or Chrome to view the pages.

I can get no help on this matter. I have tried every recommendation. I am afraid that firefox has no interest in solving this. I can use IE or Chrome [or Safari] without problem.

by the way, every time I try to contact firefox I have to register under another ID. My ID NEVER works and firefox NEVER sends a Password help email. EVERY time firefox says that my email is already used for firefox, but I NEVER receive ANY password email help at my address.

39 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: Firefox 19.0.2 freezes, locks up for 30 to 90 seconds when on YouTube or certain other pages.

Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.

(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)

• You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
  • Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.

Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"

If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.

To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.

When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.

New Contributor

Re: Firefox 19.0.2 freezes, locks up for 30 to 90 seconds when on YouTube or certain other pages.

I know I was quite vague when I stated that I had tried every recommendation. However, this problem has been posted by at least 30 people that I have seen. There have been about 30 to 40 recommendations that include add-ons/safe mode, Rapport something, Real Player etc. [And I agree with the derision about Real Player, I never used it (EVER) even when it was popular] It may have something to do with Flash, I stayed with flash 10.2 for as long as I could. There came a time when I got OUT OF DATE errors about the older flash and I loaded the newer flash. If I completely remove flash, the freeze seems to go away a tad faster, but it still lasts for about a minute. And the freeze renews each time I access another page such as a youtube page, whether I access it through Youtube or from a site link.

don

New Contributor

I have this same exact problem. When I try to load a webpage I watch firefox connect to the page down in the bottom left hand corner, but then it hangs on a white screen and the text shows "Waiting for [insert web address]"

• I am running Windows XP 32bit SP3
  • Firefox: 19.0.2
  • Flash: "You have version 11,6,602,171 installed"

If I highlight the url when it's hanging and hit enter the page loads right away.

• I have tried resetting my router.
  • I have renewed my IP
  • I have tried Safemode by going to the help menu and starting firefox with addons disabled.
  • I have cleared my history, cookies, cache and all that stuff.

I don't know what to do.

New Contributor

I also have the same problem. Hangs a lot even when I open only 3 tabs. I tried everything, clear this clear that, reboot, safemode, etc, none of it works. Then I tried disable Shockwave Flash plugin (from Add-Ons), and it worked. No more freeze, no more hangs. Anyhow, Mozilla Support should fix this problem. Can't disable Shockwave Flash plugin forever though. *sigh*

Site Moderator

You can check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:

• disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin

Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.

New Contributor

I am having the same problem. I use Ubuntu 12.04 and use Flash version 11.2 r202. Since Ubuntu went canonical with 19.02. Firefox has been crashing endlessly. I uninstalled and installed a strip down version only with Flash. It still crashes.

New Contributor

I really appreciate the comments, but please keep comments to FIXES. I have a standard windows machine with standard installation of everything that is used on this computer. I have tried over 100 troubleshoots with NO good results. While the problem appears to be associated with Flash, removing flash or changing flash is NOT the answer. The answer would seem to be for Mozilla FireFox to fix the clash with flash, but they have not done so. thanks

New Contributor

Please fqyyy28, This is how forums work. IF we have the same problem we post in the current thread. It is pointless to go out and make a new thread that will either get locked or deleted for being a repeat thread.

A standard installation of windows and flash does not help your situation. You need to list your system specs so people know what they are dealing with. You have to be as detailed as possible if you are looking for a response. Because with the information you have given, I can think of over 25 different things that could be wrong with your system.

New Contributor

So, I uninstalled firefox and made to sure to delete all system settings during uninstall, including bookmarks, website preferences and all of that. reinstalled firefox and I also enabled "pipelining". I didn't change any of the values, just enabled it.

Now I don't have a problem!