I just updated to 18.0 yesterday. Since then, Facebook will crash FF upon login without fail. I can get to the main page (where I'd log in) but as soon as my home page starts to load, Firefox is unresponsive. I haven't noticed any issue with any other websites.
Flash and Java are all up to date, and I've checked my plug ins. I didn't have any issues with 17.xx, whatever was before 18 on the Release Channel. Any possible solutions/ troubleshooting I may have missed?
I'm running OSX 10.7.5, FF 18.0.
It's a Facebook Chat conflict - easy to fix. Close Firefox. Use another browser (I used Safari) to log into Facebook. Sign out of Chat. Sign out of Facebook. Open Firefox and log into Facebook and sign back into Chat.
You should be fixed!
No such luck . Cleared everything (cookies, cache, etc) from Firefox and completely exited. Opened up Chrome and was able to get into Facebook. Turned off chat and logged out, but FF still crashes after I try to log in.
If clearing cookies doesn't work then it is possible that the cookies.sqlite file that stores the cookies is corrupted.
Rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete other present cookie files like cookies.sqlite-journal in the Firefox Profile Folder in case the file cookies.sqlite got corrupted.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
Your cookie suggestion fixed it, cor-el, thanks!. I deleted all the cookies.sqlite files (there were three or four) and restarted in safe mode. Facebook worked perfectly. Tested in normal mode and the website is working again.
May have celebrated too soon. Just opened up Facebook in a new tab and it crashed again. I just deleted all the cookie files again. I suppose that works as a fix in the short run, but hopefully it'll get worked out in 18.0.1
If you have submitted crash reports then please post the IDs of one or more crash reports that have this format:
You can find the IDs of the submitted crash reports on the about:crashes page.
Unlike for thedogma, this solution hasn't worked for me at all, not even the first time under safe mode. Crash reports have included: C93C8773-617F-4B4D-A238-27160544686E AME1DF7806-4815-49B0-BA4A-936E3FF01FC7 AM5456AE6A-974C-4B14-8B6A-5A79ACD66323 PMC7CF706F-0D2E-49D2-B2CA-2AC07EA11F38