cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 14.01 not importing html bookmarks

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox 14.01 not importing html bookmarks

Before upgrade to 14.01 happened, I could have any html file containing links and it would happily get imported into Firefox bookmarks.

Now Firefox is only importing html files generated through export from Firefox itself.

27 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Firefox 14.01 not importing html bookmarks

I am not sure any change has occurred that makes that happen.

Firefox is unlikely to know if a HTML file was created by Firefox or some other application, or even by yourself using a text editor or whatever.

Note however Firefox does not normally use HTML filesfor storing bookmarks, and the HTML files only get appended to the bookmarks file when imported.

Expert Contributor

Also: you can consider the Reset Firefox feature via Help (Alt + H) > Troubleshooting Information and check.

(To revert to the previous profile, close the new profile, start Firefox and choose the *.default profile. While the Profile Manager is open, you can also delete the newly reset profile (the one containing random numbers)).

Managing profiles

Profiles Howto

New Contributor

John99 - something has changed - I have windows and linux set up - windows has latest version of Firefox 14.01 and Linux is still on the old 13 something version.

The format of the bookmark file exported by firefox has changed I think and the import does not any longer accept simple html generated by hand or any other program.

dumdidadia - I have already uninstalled, deleted all folders containing firefox data, re-installed latest version and still same.

Expert Contributor

It seems to be okay with the exported Internet Explorer favorites. The imported bookmarks are placed at the end of the Firefox bookmarks listing. Are you getting any visible errors?? If so, can you please create a screenshot of the problem you're seeing by following the guide mentioned at How do I create a screenshot of my problem?.

Once you've done this, attach the saved screenshot file to your forum post by clicking the Browse... button below the Post your reply box. You really help us to visualize the problem.

New Contributor

dumdidadida - No visible errors.

I think its the doctype headers which I have in my html files which are not accepted by firefox.

By using the header from a file exported by firefox and adding to my html, I can import my html. Its nowhere as neat as it used to be - I could simply import files without worrying about headers.

Support Forum Moderator

Seems to work ok and as expected with html bookmarks. I have been caught out before by saying something works without actually testing it, but a few minutes ago I have as a test exported from IE to a Windows and Canonical Firefox, and to Mozilla fx14.0.1 on Ubuntu.

(My Ubuntu Canonical is Aurora fx15. presumably the Canonical channels will update in a few days.)

New Contributor

Attached is a small bit html that won't import into firefox for me.

2012-07-22-11-51-03-c9db97.png
Support Forum Moderator

I did not manage to import a copy of your file that I made.

I do note it is not in the same format as bookmarks I just imported.

2012-07-22-12-58-59-14bd8a.png
Site Moderator

Try to only place the <a href=""> links in the HTML file and not the rest of the HTML code.