cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 11.0 Installed Acrobat plugin 10.1.3 today doesn't work (ok in Safari) Installed extension PDF viewer 0.2.537 can now view PDF in firefox

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox 11.0 Installed Acrobat plugin 10.1.3 today doesn't work (ok in Safari) Installed extension PDF viewer 0.2.537 can now view PDF in firefox

This is for information purposes. I installed Acrobat plug in today 10.1.3 and I get a blank tab when trying to open a pdf document in Firefox 11.0. This plug in works in Safari. I disabled the plug in in Firefox and installed the extension PDF viewer 0.2.537 form Mozilla and documents open fine. Just wanted to let someone know1.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Firefox 11.0 Installed Acrobat plugin 10.1.3 today doesn't work (ok in Safari) Installed extension PDF viewer 0.2.537 can now view PDF in firefox

If you want to use Adobe Acrobat, you can just change the preference that was messed up:

Go into Firefox > Preferences > Applications and look for "PDF file"

Next to that, select use Adobe Acrobat (or use Preview) rather than Adobe Acrobat NPAPI 10.1.3

Adobe's NPAPI plugin doesn't work in 64-bit Firefox ... there's probably a bug where the Adobe Reader update is setting that preference.

(From: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/que.../925239.)

20 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Firefox 11.0 Installed Acrobat plugin 10.1.3 today doesn't work (ok in Safari) Installed extension PDF viewer 0.2.537 can now view PDF in firefox

Great! Glad that the PDF add-on (I assume pdf.js) is working well for you.

New Contributor

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

If you want to use Adobe Acrobat, you can just change the preference that was messed up:

Go into Firefox > Preferences > Applications and look for "PDF file"

Next to that, select use Adobe Acrobat (or use Preview) rather than Adobe Acrobat NPAPI 10.1.3

Adobe's NPAPI plugin doesn't work in 64-bit Firefox ... there's probably a bug where the Adobe Reader update is setting that preference.

(From: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/que.../925239.)

New Contributor

I don't have a "PDF file" but rather an "Adobe Acrobat PDF Document" entry in my Application Preferences. When I change that entry (and the other two "Adobe Acrobat ..." entries) to "Use Adobe Reader (default)" from the NPAPI 10.1.3 plugin, I get the same behavior (yes, I restarted Firefox). A window pops up when I attempt to view a PDF document, but Adobe Reader never comes up and I never see my document.

Any idea why? Everything worked fine with the previous (10.x) version of Firefox.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Are you sure you have the same problem? This is specific for OSX users who recently updated Adobe Acrobat (and possibly Reader) and was caused by this update. If you have a different problem, can you please start a new post so that it's clear?

New Contributor

Well, the symptoms are the same. I'm running Mac OSX 10.7.3, Firefox 11.0 (recently upgraded and haven't been able to view PDF documents since the upgrade), and prior to my changing the setting for the "Adobe Acrobat PDF Document" file type, had been using the "Adobe Acrobat NPAPI 10.1.3" plugin to handle this file type.

In any case, I still can't view PDF documents in Firefox (but everything works fine on the same machine using Chrome).

New Contributor

Oh, forgot to mention, I did just recently update Acrobat Reader too -- so it might have been the update of Reader, rather than the update of Firefox, that broke PDF files. I didn't pay much attention as to exactly when PDF files stopped being able to be rendered in Firefox.

New Contributor

Cww, Very helpful thank you!

For those who haven't a clue about these things (like me), I followed Cww's instruction but instead of finding "PDF File", I found ADOBE PDF DOCUMENT and I selected USE ADOBE READER (DEFAULT).

It worked!

2012-04-21-01-20-13-1120a9.png
New Contributor

Problem solved!

I did what Lili2012 suggested, as Cww instructed....Although with a little bit of a twist...

I clicked on Firefox, clicked Preferences, clicked Preview Document (application/pdf), choose Use Adobe Reader (default)

That solved this mystery