cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 10: How to disable the "The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Firefox 10: How to disable the "The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality?

Before I upgrade to Firefox 10, I would like to know how to disable the "The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality that was added to Firefox 10. How does one disable that functionality so that the forward button is always shown?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular User

Re: Firefox 10: How to disable the "The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality?

Okay, so I just figured out, that if you Right Click the Toolbar, Select Customize and then Put a button between the "Back/Forward" and "AddressBar" it remove the Hidden Forward button...

See in my screenshot http://d.pr/EjrK where the home button is... If I move the Home button elsewhere than the forward button is hidden. http://d.pr/ImFc

12 REPLIES
Regular User

Re: Firefox 10: How to disable the "The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality?

• Deleted* Answer below
New User

wdrcomputera means faded-out

New User

What is the point of having a go-forwards button active, if there if nowhere to go forwards to?

Regular User

Okay, so I just figured out, that if you Right Click the Toolbar, Select Customize and then Put a button between the "Back/Forward" and "AddressBar" it remove the Hidden Forward button...

See in my screenshot http://d.pr/EjrK where the home button is... If I move the Home button elsewhere than the forward button is hidden. http://d.pr/ImFc

Support Forum Moderator

Now you have the Refresh button moved outside the Location Bar with the Home button between the Location Bar and the Search Bar. I put the Home button on the left side of the Tab Bar, to get it back close to where it used to be without messing up the "smart" buttons on the Navigation Toolbar. Different strokes I guess.

Regular User

Yeah, I noticed that after a second look, I corrected it. I dont use the home button anyways since My homepage is just google.com - so i removed the home button completely.

All Star

That explains what I am seeing. I put the reload and home buttons back where they used to be.

New User

I read ""The forward button is now hidden until you navigate back" functionality as follows.

In Firefox 8.01, the Back button and the Forward button both exist.

In Firefox 10, the Back button exists and the Forward button does not exist until I navigate to a new page at which time the Forward button comes into existence.

Firefox 8.01:

Back-button (grayed-out)  Forward-button (grayed-out)

Navigate to another page, page #2.
 Back-button  Forward-button (grayed-out)

Navigate to another page, page #3.
 Back-button  Forward-button (grayed-out)

Navigate to back one page, page #2.
 Back-button  Forward-button

Navigate back to the original page.
 Back-button (grayed-out)  Forward-button

Firefox 10:

Back-button (grayed-out)

Navigate to another page, page #2.
 Back-button

Navigate to another page, page #3.
 Back-button

Navigate to back one page, page #2.
 Back-button  Forward-button

Navigate back to the original page.
 Back-button (grayed-out)  Forward-button

iMarshmellow's second response showed the functionality as I understand and showed above. iMarshmellow's first two responses also show that for now I do not need to worry about the hidden Forward button in Firefox 10 because I already have at least two other buttons between the Back and Forward buttons and the address bar in Firefox 8.01.

I would love to see Firefox give an explicit option that determines the visibility of the Forward button instead of having to rely on a work-around or side-effect.

Thank you.

Site Moderator

You can also place a separator or space between the back and forward button and the location bar.