Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fckeditor stopped working after upgrade to Firefox 17.0

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Fckeditor stopped working after upgrade to Firefox 17.0

Since updating Firefox to the latest version (17.0), the fckeditor has stopped working on my website. It will open but there are no icons and I cannot type anything. If there was text there before, it doesn't show up when opening the fckeditor.

It works fine in Internet Explorer and was working earlier today in Firefox before I upgraded Firefox.

Hoping somebody can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Fckeditor stopped working after upgrade to Firefox 17.0

The change which caused this problem is being reverted in Firefox 17.0.1.

However, any site which was broken by this change is also broken in Firefox for Android and Firefox OS, which have had the updated user agent for quite some time. Therefore, you are encouraged to fix them anyway.

Gerv

38 REPLIES
New User

Same problem for me, temporary i have resolved reverting to version 16. I investigating and it is a problem with user agent, fckeditor does not recognize firefox 17 as compatible browser and does not show icons and toolbars and show only a textarea with source htm code. Please give a solution we use fckeditor in several our application and if firefox does not work we are forced to change browser

New User

To fix this problem, simply edit the following:

/fckeditor/fckeditor_php5.php (go to line 58) and change it from:

return ($iVersion >= 20030210) ;

to

return TRUE ;

Have fun,

mrcityrunner

New User

Does not work for me, i'm using fckeditor in asp.net 3.5 web application you think i have to modify some other files? thank you

New User

Oh - this fix worked for me as im using linux so its not asp...

New User

i modify fckeditor.asp and fckeditor.js they as a same function FCKeditor_IsCompatibleBrowser() but does not work. yes the point is useragent but i cannot find the correct file to edit

aaargh

New User

maybe upgrade to ckeditor to resolve all issues...

New User

thanks, i'm already using ckeditor in newer application, but we have two application in production using fckeditor and now we can't upgrade to ckeditor, we suggest to our users to use ff 16 or another browser

New User

Hi, I have the same problem here. The FCKeditor team (now CKEditor) say they don't support FCKeditor anymore, and if the only change is that the user agent is not recognized anymore, then it would be good to know what exactly changed and why, so as to provide a fix for our production systems.

I am the technical leader of the Chamilo LMS (GNU/GPL) project, we have hundreds of thousands of teachers using FCKeditor and we generally recommend them to use Firefox, but having automatic update provoking this puts us in a tricky situation, because we don't force our users to upgrade, so if we want to help them now, we're going to have to undertake major efforts of communication. Albeit not the fault of Firefox itself (basing the features on user agent detection has never been a good idea), it makes it difficult to keep promoting FF when problems happens too often (I have a worrying amount of personal reports of people being upset by the automatic updates breaking stuff lately).

New User

Ywarnier... Im in the exact same position. Luckily that fix I mention worked for me but I think its now time to migrate to ckeditor as I can only see more problems cropping up down the line..