Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook locks up Firefox 19.0 during load

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Facebook locks up Firefox 19.0 during load

Firefox 19.0 locks up when trying to load Facebook. This started yesterday, March 5 at about 1300 hrs PST. After a long delay, a Warning: Unresponsive Script dialog appears, saying that "A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding". The script listed is https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yH/r/LEOX0R6UVT4.js:16. Clicking either Continue or Stop Script has the same effect: the entire Firefox application remains frozen. After several minutes, the same warning box appears again. The only way to escape the situation is to force-close Firefox. The crash reporter never appears.

Facebook loads normally in both Chrome and IE8.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Facebook locks up Firefox 19.0 during load

Found the problem!

The Facebook Desktop Plug-in turns out to be the culprit. Disabling the Facebook Desktop Plug-in allowed Facebook to load and function normally.

Go Figure.

29 REPLIES
Site Moderator

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

New User

Thanks for the reply, but no joy.

More of the Facebook home loads than before, but it Firefox still freezes.

Now it locks up on a different script:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/ys/r/TE84NyvT6Eq.js:16"

If I click, "Stop Script" Firefox stays frozen. On force close, the Windows Error Report sequence says I need to update Firefox, but the Mozilla website says Firefox is up-to-date.

New User

I have the same problem and reset doesn't solve it. No other problems.

Site Moderator

Please update the Java plugin to the latest 7U17 version.

See Java Platform > Java SE 7U17 and 6U41 (JRE Download)

You can check for problems caused by recent Flash updates and try these:

• disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
  • disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin

You can also check for problems caused by other plugins like Java.

New User

The Java SDK 7U17 turned into a can of worms. The installation stalled twice, both times sending McAfee Virus protection into overdrive. The second time, it also triggered a Windows Data Execution error stop. I used mcsonfig to disable all Start-Up items, restarted, did a complete uninstall/reinstall on the McAfee Virus protection. Then I was able to install the java 7U17.

Still no joy. Facebook still freezes Firefox.

New User

Found the problem!

The Facebook Desktop Plug-in turns out to be the culprit. Disabling the Facebook Desktop Plug-in allowed Facebook to load and function normally.

Go Figure.

New User

The java update did nothing to help.

New User

Yep that solved mine too! Wonder what the real solution is now?

thanks

Shooting Star

Thanks for the info guys. Is anyone having this issue that isn't using the Facebook Desktop Plugin? We are trying to gather data to get to the root of the issue.