cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook causes Firefox to freeze or crash

Highlighted
New User

Facebook causes Firefox to freeze or crash

I leave Facebook open in a tab, and every time I click on it, It screws up Firefox. At best, Firefox will freeze for several seconds before loading an updated Facebook news feed; at worst, Firefox will just crash. And sometimes Facebook just crashes Firefox on its own, even when I'm away. How do I fix this?

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Facebook causes Firefox to freeze or crash

Hello,

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Thank you.

New User

That seems inappropriately extreme. I'm not willing to lose everything just to try out something that seems unlikely to work (since this is a common problem).

Site Moderator

Firefox reset won't cause you to lose everything, only your extensions (which probably cause the problem anyway). All other data will be saved.

Also make sure that Firefox is updated to Firefox 22.

New User

I'd still like to hold off on this-- it seems like a generic answer that has nothing to do with this problem. Hopefully there's a simpler fix!

Site Moderator

Have you updates to Firefox 22? Do you have any crash reports Mozilla Crash Reporter ? Unfortunately with the question you asked it's a very generic question, and Reset will fix it in 90% of cases.

Site Moderator

Try to disable the Flash plugin and possibly the Java plugin.

You can check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:

• disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
  • disable protected mode in the Flash plugin (Flash 11.3+ on Windows Vista and later)
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
New User

Just chiming in here. I am on the latest Firefox on Windows 7 and Ubuntu, have cleared the caches, but I have stopped short of doing a reset. It only began happening in the last week, so my feeling is that it’s Facebook and not Firefox, though a friend on Chromium says he is not experiencing this.

I will try disabling the extensions manually. Cor-el, I have a sneaking suspicion it is Flash.

New User

I just started seeing this problem this morning. Everything was working fine up until this morning when I logged onto FB. I'm using the latest version of Firefox running under WinXP. My specific problem is that Facebook will open as normal but after a few minutes of use, the entire browser just disappears. I can reopen FB again but after another couple of minutes - poof - nothing. It's done this at least a half-dozen times so far already. I tried opening Facebook using IE and the problem isn't nearly as catastrophic. In IE I get a "tab has been recovered" message and the page simply reloads. But IE doesn't crash completely. I tried resetting all Firefox settings - that didn't help. I believe there is something going on with Facebook and it's not necessarily a browser problem but the fact that Firefox shuts down completely and IE doesn't is a little troublesome. I checked the Facebook help center and saw a few posts related to this problem. But FB doesn't respond to their own forum help messages so it's impossible to know if they're even aware of the problem or not.

Btw - this isn't the first problem I've seen with Facebook. I started getting "unresponsive script" errors a couple of weeks ago in regards to the newsfeed section. Again, there were numerous reports of similar problems in the Facebook help forums. Many "solutions" were proffered but none of them worked. I have a pretty good feeling these problems are the result of some tinkering going on at Facebook. The problems don't seem to be affecting everyone though. I don't know what the common thread is for those who are experiencing similar difficulties. The problems seem to span operating systems, browsers, add-ons, etc. so I don't think there's anything Mozilla is going to be able to do about this business. I'd run screaming from Facebook if it wasn't for the fact it's still the 800 pound networking gorilla and leaving would put me at a disadvantage with my business since most of my customers use Facebook for virtually everything. Anyway, I hope the problems can be resolved one way or another.

New User

I suspect it is Facebook, too, Krizrox. The home page would also completely shut down Dolphin Browser on Android (though an upgrade solved that).