FF becomes unresponsive if minimised in dock/ left idle.
I'm running Mountain Lion on a 2009 Intel MacBook Pro. Since upgrading to Firefox 18.0.1 a few days ago, my system, at times, becomes unusable:
- when active, Firefox is clean, supple and very fluid.
- when left idle (background) or minimised to the dock for a short length of time, it becomes unresponsive.
- this then has a knock-on effect on my system and renders it unusable:
- on awaking the system/ Firefox, a significant lag/ hang of around 30-40 seconds is experienced
- this is accompanied by the «beachball», and occasionally, the blue beachball.
- it seems as though excessive RAM is being consumed, but on checking Activity Monitor, all seems correct.
- it gets to a stage where the lag/ hang is so bad that other apps refuse to coöperate
- the only work around I have found for the time being is a force quit (which shows that Firefox has become unresponsive - a little like a crash, but caused by no activity).
I wonder if anyone else has the same/ a similar problem. What fixes you use. If it is a known bug. If anyone has managed to rectify the situation.
Re: FF becomes unresponsive if minimised in dock/ left idle.
I see something similar on Mac OS 10.6. If Firefox is running and I leave the computer idle long enough it to run the screen saver and then go to sleep, quite often Firefox will not respond when I try to do anything with it after the computer wakes up. In fact, quite often the entire computer will be unresponsive.