cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everytime I restart my computer, instead of having Google as my homepage it always switches to Startpage by Ixquick.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Everytime I restart my computer, instead of having Google as my homepage it always switches to Startpage by Ixquick.

Everytime I restart my computer, instead of having Google as my homepage it always switches to Startpage by Ixquick. Same thing goes with the search box on the right, no matter what setting I make it directs me to this Startpage. As well as when I highlight a word- right click- search google, it takes me yet again to this Startpage (in the new tab). I've scanned the computer, did the anti-malware thing, nothing. These things started to occur few days ago. I am using FF 19 (updated the latest version today, 08.03.2013). I hope I was detailed enough. Thank you for your answers !

25 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: Everytime I restart my computer, instead of having Google as my homepage it always switches to Startpage by Ixquick.

Hello Hutchence, try the SearchReset add-on and check it again.

thank you

New Contributor

Re: Everytime I restart my computer, instead of having Google as my homepage it always switches to Startpage by Ixquick.

Tried it already, doesn't work...

New Contributor

I'm being rude, Ideato, thank you for helping me out.

New Contributor

Of course, all of you "out there" are more than welcome to help me out with this problem...

Legendary Contributor

Hi go to about:config find(or copied and raste from here) browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone, right-click on it and select RESET, exit firefox(from Firefox{orange}button > Exit) and restart it.

if the above did not solve the issue then delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and do the above one more time.

Now for the search bar see: Restoring default search engines, try the safe mode option (Another way you can restore the default set of search.......search engines.)

if the above did not help, see : How do I get rid of malware?, try all the free antivirus because every one delete different malware(in a case you have )

thanks again

New Contributor

OK, here's how things stand- I have tried first 2 steps that you've recommended me. We have 2 good and few bad news. The good news are: when I highlight a word or a name, right click, search Google- Google indeed opens in the new tab ! second good news is that the search engine on the right is set to Google now without me intervening. Here start the bad news, every time I restart the computer when I go to "Manage search engine list" , the "show search suggestions" box is always empty and I have to put tick every time I log in. After a computer restart yet again, Startpage engine appears as my homepage deleting all my previous settings (Google). Another think appeared, when I want to open the new tab by clicking on the + of the previous one, I get this message: The address isn't valid The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded. Web addresses are usually written like http://www.example.com/ Make sure that you're using forward slashes (i.e.

/). Instead of getting a tab with 6 windows within it. Thank you.
Legendary Contributor

After a computer restart yet again, Startpage engine appears as my homepage deleting all my previous settings (Google).

the homepage, after that, in options > general tab is google ? if reverse to startpage when you restart firefox, set it correct(google) and see : Corrupt or damaged prefs.js file

Another think appeared, when I want to open the new tab by clicking on the + of the previous one, I get this message: The address isn't valid The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

what you have in browser.newtab.url ? , go from about:config

more info : How do I turn the new tab page off?

thanks

New Contributor

OK, after following your instructions, we have narrowed my problems to 2. First, still the "show search suggestions" box within the "Manage search engine list" on the upper right side of the screen cannot remember that I've ticked it, after I restart the computer. Problem number 2, yet again OPTIONS-GENERAL cannot remember my choice of homepage. But guess what, it doesn't offer me Startpage anymore but now it's http://startsear.info/ ???!!! I really don't get it.

Thanks

Legendary Contributor

Can you reset firefox ? The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

thanks