cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever since Firefox updated itself to 29.0.1 Flash constantly crashes.

Highlighted
New User

Ever since Firefox updated itself to 29.0.1 Flash constantly crashes.

I did a clean install of Firefox, I updated Flash to 13, and I disabled almost every plug-in. Flash still crashes constantly. I will have no choice but to abandon Firefox because it is unusable like this.

28 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Ever since Firefox updated itself to 29.0.1 Flash constantly crashes.

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration.

1. Go to this Adobe Flash Player Help page.
  2. Right-click on the Flash Player logo on that page.
  3. Click on Settings in the context menu. The Adobe Flash Player Settings screen will open.
  4. Click on the icon at the bottom-left of the Adobe Flash Player Settings window to open the Display panel.

fpSettings1.PNG
  5. Remove the check mark from Enable hardware acceleration.
  6. Click Close to close the Adobe Flash Player Settings Window.
  7. Restart Firefox.

This Flash Player Help - Display Settings page has more information on Flash Player hardware acceleration, if you're interested.

New User

I had disabled hardware acceleration previously. it is still disabled.

Site Moderator

If you have RealPlayer installed on your computer, disable the RealPlayer Browser Record plugin

1. Launch RealPlayer
  2. Click the RealPlayer icon in the upper left corner of the window and choose Preferences.
  3. Choose Download & Recording from the left hand panel
  4. Uncheck "Enable Web Download & Recording for these installed browsers"
  5. Click OK and close RealPlayer
  6. Restart Firefox

If you don't have RealPlayer installed, Can you try to start Firefox in Safe Mode to see if Firefox works properly with no error? You can start Firefox in Safe Mode below:

• Windows/Mac: Go to Help > Restart with add-ons disabled
  • Linux: Run firefox -safe-mode in the Terminal/Konsole

If Firefox opens up fine with no problems, it's probably one of your extensions that's causing the issue. You can re-enable your add-ons one by one until you find the one that causes the issue upon being re-enabled.

New User

I had already disabled all of the Realplayer plugins and most of the other plugins. did not help. I'll try safe mode...

Site Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for keeping me updated. Please let me know how Safe Mode goes.

New User

Same problem. But related I would appreciate it if those that give advice to open "Adobe Flash Player Settings" etc. would be more specific as to how to get there. In my ambulations over the years I cave come across those programs but just how and where I can never remember. Thanks.

New User

If Flash crashes constantly in Firefox 29.0.1, which it does with me, too, there is no way to get to hardware acceleration that I have seen.

You cannot accesses the plugin directly via control panel.

Any other suggestions? I have had problems with FF/Flash for the last few versions now. I don't like installing older versions of Flash, due to potential security issues.

Thanks

New User

Perhaps it would be helpful to identify combinations of Firefox and Flash versions that are known to work (or don't work) -

Firefox 29.0 + Flash 13.0.0.206 works for me - use http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html to determine what Flash you have.

There are newer versions of both products available (29.0.1 + 13.0.0.214) but considering the past few weeks of updates by both vendors... it's not clearly broken, so I'm not going to fix it (yet).

New User

Thank you. Your suggestion seems the simplest approach to the FF/flash problem. I 'degraded' my FF to 29.0 but haven't touched Flash yet. If I still note issues then I'll 'degrade' my version of Flash also. Thanks again.