cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't like the new pdf.js viewer. How can I disable it and restore Acrobat Reader as my preferred plugin?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Don't like the new pdf.js viewer. How can I disable it and restore Acrobat Reader as my preferred plugin?

I really don't like the look-and-feel of the new pdf.js viewer. On my machine (6 yr old HP running Windows XP with sp 3) it displays slower than Acrobat Reader did, and I was perfectly happy with Acrobat Reader plugin. Frankly I want to disable pdf.js, but haven't been able to figure a way to do it. It doesn't display anywhere I could find on Add-ons Manager. I don't want to be compelled to use a feature that seems to be a performance detriment, at least for me. Mozilla, please rethink this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Don't like the new pdf.js viewer. How can I disable it and restore Acrobat Reader as my preferred plugin?

You can set the pdfjs.disabled pref to true on the about:config page to disable the build-in PDF viewer and use the Adobe Reader instead.

See also:

24 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Don't like the new pdf.js viewer. How can I disable it and restore Acrobat Reader as my preferred plugin?

hello, if you want to switch back to the plugin you've used before to view pdfs just go to firefox options > applications & define the default action for the portable document format (pdf).

View PDF files in Firefox

2013-02-20-14-21-22-437175.png
Site Moderator

You can set the pdfjs.disabled pref to true on the about:config page to disable the build-in PDF viewer and use the Adobe Reader instead.

See also:

New User

Madperson's suggestion didn't work the first time I tried it. Once I followed the advice from cor-el and disabled the pdf.js, it did work! My Adobe Reader once again works inside Firefox, just as before. I can also download, of course. Thanks to you both.

BTW in Firefox Options > Applications the portable document format still appears (at least on my machine) as Adobe Acrobat Document.

New User

I have done ALL of this multiple times and Firefox still tries to open in pdf.js and it is trying to read the pdf in Word!!!!

This is an absolute crock. I guess I'm going to be forced to Chrome

Site Moderator

You can delete the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox Profile Folder to reset all file actions.

New User

Regarding firefox changing my default preference for Acrobat when updating to v 19...it was extremely rude. Hopefully new updates will honor my preferences as I've set them.

New User

I tried this to no avail. STILL doesn't let me prevent the stupid pdf.js

You can delete the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox Profile Folder to reset all file actions.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/mimeTypes.rdf
   http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_and_download_actions#Resetting_download_actions
New User

This pdf.js viewer is crap. It can not print properly.

New User

As bssjersey points out, FF19 ignores your "Application preferences", described [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-fi...] here and [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-pdf-files-firefox-without-downl...] here as long as pdf.js is enabled. This is counter-intuitive and user-unfriendly. One shouldn't have to override settings (disable pdf.js) in about:config for an option configurable in the regular GUI to work as expected.