cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Firefox 6.0 work with Norton toolbar ?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Does Firefox 6.0 work with Norton toolbar ?

Just asking before I update because previous updates have broken it, and I am not willing to update if I cant use the Norton Toolbar.

The answer was NO, but in the mean time Norton released a patch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star

Re: Does Firefox 6.0 work with Norton toolbar ?

Norton Internet Security 2011 and Norton 360 5.x. fix for Firefox 6: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Update-Available-Firefox-6-0-Compatibility-Patch/td-p/5124... (scroll down to "Update Available: Firefox 6.0 Compatibility Patch")

If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.

17 REPLIES
New User

Well by looking at other posts it DOES NOT , this is always an issue with updates, when are you going to realize this and address it before you release a new update.

SERIOUSLY !

How hard would it be to shoot Symantic an email telling them your releasing an update so they can make a minor change in their script to allow it BEFORE you release it.

Expert User

Until Norton updates the add-on to be compatible with Firefox 6, you can use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to try re-enabling it yourself.

For more details, see this page: Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox

New User

Again, this is a KNOWN issue for updates . So why not DO something about it BEFORE the release ???

New User

You would think that because this is a release day there would be some people from Firefox monitoring the forums....

How about an answer ?

New User

Hello

After making a LiveUpdate from Norton 360, and starting my Computer new, i don't have the problem anymore. The Norton tool bar works fine now with FF 6.0.

Have you tried this already?

Shooting Star

Norton Internet Security 2011 and Norton 360 5.x. fix for Firefox 6: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Update-Available-Firefox-6-0-Compatibility-Patch/td-p/5124... (scroll down to "Update Available: Firefox 6.0 Compatibility Patch")

If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.

New User

While this was fixed quickly by Norton, it still should not be an issue at all (see above for why) .

Shooting Star

Would not have been an issue had Norton released their update/announcement a little earlier; on the page that I posted it shows "08-16-2011 01:20 PM". Firefox 6's first beta was released 5 weeks, 6 days ago, 07/06/2011, so Norton must have waited until very late in the game to start and/or test any necessary revisions to their product.

Expert User

Hi, I'm a Firefox developer. I agree that this is a problem that needs to be fixed. We've already taken some steps to improve it, like automatically updating add-ons that are distributed through Mozilla's web site. However, we aren't able to force people to update add-ons that they distribute themselves. We have more work to do to improve this, including reaching out to companies like Norton to encourage them to test and update their add-ons sooner, and making it easier to keep add-ons working in Firefox even when their developers haven't tested them yet.