Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "this connection is untrusted" page

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Disable "this connection is untrusted" page

I would like to completely disable the "this connection is untrusted dialog." I am an administrator and deal with many intranet sites. It is not cost effective to set an exception for each site. Corporate standards require us to use either IE, or Firefox, and I would prefer not to have to use IE.

To be clear: I am not looking for a solution that lessens the amount of overall clicks, like in browser.ssl override behavor in "about:config" nor am I looking for an Add-on (like "remember certificate exception"). I am looking for a way to remove the "this connection is untrusted" dialog completely.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: Disable "this connection is untrusted" page

Skip Cert Error

"This Firefox extension enables skipping the SSL/TLS certificate error page, for specific configurable conditions, like self-signed cert or unknown issuer, by adding a temporary exception."

29 REPLIES
New Contributor

I know I'm not alone in this issue - has anyone come up with a resolution?

Site Moderator

You can only do that by installing a root certificate for the certificates that are send by those pages.

New Contributor

I appreciate the reply, but unfortunately that wouldn't work. The goal is to reduce the amount of administration time needed for each site. Installing certs and keeping them current for each of these sites/devices would cause much more effort than simply adding an exemption.

New Contributor

I also have this problem and would like to disable as ktjamm has suggested. Surely the Firefox administrators have a solution for this???

New Contributor

Firefox 4 is out, and the "remember certificate exception " add-on is not currently compatible with 4. This is still an issue - has anyone come up with a permanent way to remove the dialogs completely, without installing certificates on frequently changing internal websites?

New Contributor

have u guys tried checking the system clock? mismatched system clock/date sometimes causes this error

New Contributor

It's not an error per say, Firefox is doing what it should be doing. A lot of the sites I would administrate don't have a third party signed certificate to verify. What I am asking for is a way to remove the dialog all together, to save time of either 1) going through the dialog foe EVERY website that I administrate (and changes frequently) 2) spending time installing a cert (which will take more time) for every frequently changing site I administrate.

It would be far far better for me to make a config change to make Firefox not check for certificates at all, rather than have to put up with Firefox "protecting me for my own good"

New Contributor

I don't want to be rude, and I love Firefox so much, and damn I don't want to sound childish but my thoughts are: Stupid Firefox!!! How come we, users have to spend so much time to search solution to stop this? Come on it is most annoying when user face some kind of undesirable error messages.

We pay money to buy faster computers to make our user experience smooth (which includes to remove any kind of error messages) and now our favorite open source browser gives us that s**t. Disgusting.

New Contributor

This is a huge problem! I am seeing it discussed everywhere. Read this: http://social-biz.org/2011/10/16/the-anti-ssl-conspiracy/

The thing is: a SSL connection with an invalid certificate is STILL BETTER than a completely open unprotected HTTP connection. This dialog makes it appear much worse, when in fact it not.

If FireFox encounters a "self-signed" HTTPS server, it should browse to it without delay, exactly as if it was an HTTP server. It should not give this scary warning. It also should NOT appear as a trusted site. It should just work like a normal HTTP site which does not have a valid certificate either.

Please let people know how ridiculous this is.