Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Plugin Check

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Disable Plugin Check

Every time I open firefox, a "plugin check" website opens up. I thought that once I installed and updated all the pertinent updates for the plugins, the website would disappear when I re-opened firefox. However, the page wont' seem to disappear. I've done everything I could think of to get rid of this page. After updating all the plugins I restarted my pc, checked to make sure that my home page has not been changed the firefox plugin change, disabled all my plugins and even tried blocking the website via HOSTS.

(I am on firefox 3.6.17. I cannot update to 4.0 because some of the websites I use cannot support 4.0).

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Disable Plugin Check

24 REPLIES
Site Moderator

See these articles for some suggestions:

New User

New User

Hey guys, thanks to 'kpatz' I found a solution!

In the address bar, type "about:config"

Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button if it appears.

Type "plugin" into the filter box.

Find the entry plugin.scan.plid.all and double-click on it to set it to false.

You're done!

Support Forum Moderator

@atish91

Disabling plugin.scan.plid.all is going to disable a number of Plugins, such as Flash, Real Player, and the OpenOffice plugin (which probably aren't causing this problem) in addition to the "offender". A smarter approach would be to disable your plugins in batches and work down to which one is causing this problem, or to disable them one at a time to find which one plugin is causing this problem. Then tell us which plugin was causing this problem for you, so that we can tell other users who also have this problem.

BTW "voting" in a support thread doesn't do any good to help us get a handle on which plugin is actually causing this problem.

New User

I found that when I disable all of my Java Consoles (6.0.20 to 6.0.25), this issue goes away.

Does anybody know of any long term solution?

Support Forum Moderator

Type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.
If you see the warning, you can confirm that you want to access that page.

Pref = plugins.update.notifyUser if it shows as True, double-click that pref to toggle it to False

If that pref was already set to False, try disabling the QuickTime Plugin and then restart Firefox, to see if that is the culprit.

New User

Does not work for me, neither does the quicktime plug in removal work. May have to go to chrome over this issue,

New User

I uninstalled Viewpoint Media Player (and the AOL IM client "AIM", since apparently that's what forced Viewpoint Media Player on to my system.)

Viewpoint Media Player is responsible for the plugin called "MetaStream 3 Plugin r4", and I believe this plugin is triggering Firefox to open the plugincheck page. It is not enough to disable the plugin, it must be uninstalled.

For me, after uninstalling Viewpoint Media Player, the "plugincheck always opening" problem then went away.

New User

Nothing helps to resolve this issue. Seems like Mozilla is forcing us to switch to some other browsers.

I personally added plug-in called "Block site" and added plug-in check page to the black list.