cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Plugin Check

Highlighted
New Contributor

Disable Plugin Check

Is there anyway to disable the 'PluginCheck' website on firefox? It automatically opens up every time I open firefox. My home page also opens up as a separate tab so it's not the fact that my home page was changed (I also made sure in the settings). All my plugins are up to date so it's not that as well. It's extremely annoying. Help would greatly be appreciated.

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

24 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Disable Plugin Check

I uninstalled Viewpoint Media Player (and the AOL IM client "AIM", since apparently that's what forced Viewpoint Media Player on to my system.)

Viewpoint Media Player is responsible for the plugin called "MetaStream 3 Plugin r4", and I believe this plugin is triggering Firefox to open the plugincheck page. It is not enough to disable the plugin, it must be uninstalled.

For me, after uninstalling Viewpoint Media Player, the "plugincheck always opening" problem then went away.

If you do not have Viewpoint Media Player or the MetaStream plugin, then have a look at your Plugins list (Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins). Do any of the plugins have a red warning icon next to them? My MetaStream plugin was the only Plugin with a red warning icon next to it, and that's how I decided it was the one I needed to remove. If any of your plugins have a red warning tag next to them, try uninstalling it or updating it. Doing so may stop the unwanted plugincheck tab from opening.

You are not the only person having this problem. Here are a few of the other people posting the same question:

New Contributor

I've had this going on for 2 days now. I hope someone finds a way to turn it off!

New Contributor

It keeps telling me to update and install a plugin that I already have. I re-installed it but it still tells me I don't have it, and most ANNOYING of all, it installs McAfee security program. It's a good thing I have Revo Uninstaller to get rid of McAfee entirely. I might have to switch over to IE if this keeps up.

New Contributor

Try this:

1. Open URL about:config
  2. in the filter box write: plugins.update
  3. then set: plugins.update.notifyUser = false
Support Forum Moderator

@carlo.tafuro

I think you get the cigar! That pref was set to false in all my Firefox installations (by default) and I switched it to true and now I get that Plugin Check page every time I open Firefox.

New Contributor

@carlo.tafuro

Nope, it's set to false and I get Check Plugins on start. Interestingly, if I try switching it to true and restarting Firefox, it's reverted to false again (still get the nag tab, though.)

Support Forum Moderator

If you have the Quick Time plugin installed, try disabling it and then restart Firefox.

New Contributor

I have the same problem. I did notice though that people who are complaining about it (me included) have something in common. We are all using Firefox 3.6. Hmmm...is this their way of forcing us to switch to Firefox 4? Well, i don't have any plans of doing so anytime soon, especially that reviews are really bad

New Contributor

I uninstalled Viewpoint Media Player. Viewpoint Media Player is responsible for the plugin called "MetaStream 3 Plugin r4", and I believe this plugin is triggering Firefox to open the plugincheck page. It is not enough to disable the plugin, it must be uninstalled.

For me, after uninstalling Viewpoint Media Player, the "plugincheck tab always opening" problem then went away.