Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste of Images NOT working.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Copy and Paste of Images NOT working.

When I right click on an image and choose 'copy image' and then try to paste it into my editing software, all i get is a string of text that is the location of the image as if I had chosen 'copy image location' instead. what gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: Copy and Paste of Images NOT working.

Hi eros143, if you are having a problem with images pasting as URLs, the fix is in Firefox 13. If you can't wait for the official release, you can install the beta version.

If you are having any other kind of problem with copy and paste, please start a new question here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new

59 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Hello i_am_brucelee, as stated earlier in another post; try dragging the image you are trying to paste instead of using the regular copy & paste way. Let me know if it works and also know that there is no need to create many posts for the same problem. Let me know if it works or not in a reply below.

New Contributor

That works but I would rather fix the problem than use a workaround like most of the other posts suggest. The reason I started a new post if because none of them answered the question satisfactorily. Copying and pasting text works fine.

Legendary Contributor

What editing software are you trying to paste into?

Does it affect all sites, or just some sites?

Another standard diagnostic step is to try Firefox's Safe Mode to see whether it is caused by a custom setting or add-on.

First, I recommend backing up your Firefox settings in case something goes wrong. See Backing up your information. (You can copy your entire Firefox profile folder somewhere outside of the Mozilla folder.)

Next, restart Firefox in Safe Mode using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the Safe Mode dialog, do not check any boxes, just click "Continue in Safe Mode."

If Copy Image works correctly, this usually points to an add-on or custom setting as the problem.

Legendary Contributor

New Contributor

I'm trying to paste into Adobe Illustrator, though by your suggestion I tried pasting into another software (photoshop) and it seemed to work fine. Now I feel that the problem might lie with Illustrator, not with Firefox. I tried restarting in safemode and it still just pastes text instead of the picture. It happens on any site across the board. I'll check out your post about Corel PhotoPaint, but most likely going to go scour the Adobe message boards. Thank you for your help and not just posting a workaround.

New Contributor

Well, it is a Firefox thing I'm pretty sure. I think you were on to something in the Corel thread. I opened Internet Exploder... I mean Explorer and the copy/paste worked fine from there. Back to the drawing board I guess...

New Contributor

So Your lead about the clipboard is correct. I still don't know how to fix it yet, but I opened both IE and FF. I opened up Microsoft Word and then opened its clipboard. It keeps multiple 'pastes' visually. So when I copied a picture from FF it showed the picture AND the text location. When I copied a picture from IE, it ONLY showed the picture. So the problem lies in how Illustrator (or Corel) interprets the clipboard copy from Firefox.

New Contributor

I'm having this exact same issue. I just started a new thread about it because this one didn't show up in my search. Copy Image and pasting it directly in to Illustrator CS3 worked just fine the day before yesterday, but started pasting the image URL (the same as Copy Image Location) yesterday. I haven't made any changes to any add-ons or to Illustrator (though it's possible an automatic update has changed something). After reading through this thread, I tried pasting an image into Photoshop, and it works fine for me, and copy/paste into Illustrator from IE works fine, also. I'm extremely interested in resolving this issue without resorting to a workaround.

Legendary Contributor

This issue was once raised as a bug and fixed (286118 – "Copy Image" should only copy image data (not URL) due to incompatability with Windows apps - marked resolved, duplicate of bug marked "worksforme") but perhaps it is back.

Does this problem with Firefox 12 only affect Windows?

Are applications other than Corel PhotoPaint and Adobe Illustrator affected?