Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant JavaScript 'Syntax error' notification after upgrading to 17.0

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Constant JavaScript 'Syntax error' notification after upgrading to 17.0

Almost at every page I open appears following notification 'Error: Syntax error' from JavaScript application. Even on this page where I fill the form. I have to click 'OK' several times to make it disappear.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Constant JavaScript 'Syntax error' notification after upgrading to 17.0

Same issue with latest upgrade. In Safe Mode removed SocialFixer. That fixed the problem.

30 REPLIES
New User

Getting the same errors, this is with and without extensions, and I made sure Java was up to date.

New User

My Java is up to date too

New User

Guys, the problem is most likely with some of your plugins. I started FireFox in safe mode with all my plugins disabled (menu Help) and the problem with JavaScript syntax error disappeared.

Site Moderator

This issue can be caused by an extension that isn't working properly.
Another user has reported that the Social Fixer extension caused this issue.

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New User

Same issue with latest upgrade. In Safe Mode removed SocialFixer. That fixed the problem.

New User

I have the same problem but it happens on pages that are not on facebook, (like pages on Oprah.com) which tells me its NOT socialfixer, or not JUST to do with socialfixer.

My java is also up-to-date.

New User

I was getting the Syntax Error (Javascript ap.) in Gmail (Start Page). After disabling Integrated Gmail 2.8.8, All back to normal !

New User

I still have the problem. Is there a way that Firefox can fix the problem from their end, for those of us who aren't that technically savvy?

New User

I would like you to first try Safe Mode. Do not confuse this with Windows safe mode. Read here: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Safe+Mode If you can operate your browser, you should be able to get into Safe Mode. Reading is knowledge, thus read the link first. Once you achieve Safe Mode, report back to us on the forum with your results. Good Luck!