Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conduit Hijacked Firefox Search; About:Config disabled

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Conduit Hijacked Firefox Search; About:Config disabled

A new version of Conduit has hijacked my FireFox browser, among other things. Every time I open a new tab it comes up in the conduit search engine rather than my default of Google. Any mistyping of a url sends me to bing via conduit. I used to be able to get into about:config and fix such problems, but now any attempt to do that simply sends me to bing. This is a horrible mess, and keeps happening, and FF users need a way to block these conduit takeovers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Conduit Hijacked Firefox Search; About:Config disabled

Comments by a Forum Moderator.

(This thread has over 80000 views)

Readers of the thread may be interested in a summary of some of this advice, including links for genuine free antimalware tools; and advice on preventing re occurrence of this and similar problems.

• I have posted downthread 10thFeb
  • Please start your own question if you need help with your own problem
    Use this special link it is direct & quicker cutting out some steps
    Remember to follow prompts to provide troubleshooting information. You should see a green button to help by automating that.

A note as to what was done before hitting the forum: Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware complete scans, which found and removed a number to things, all Conduit related. Kapersky TDSSKiller and MDAM chameleon found no problems.

RE >>To fix Firefox the first thing to do is to remove that Entrusted Toolbar extension through the Extensions tab of the Add-on manager. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-toolbar-has-taken-over-your-firefox-search

The "entrusted11" addon pretended to uninstall. Upon FF restart, it was still there. In the meantime, I ran Hitman Pro scanner. It found & fixed several Conduit things that the others missed, plus a known malware. After a machine restart, the Entrusted11 addon did uninstall for real.

Another problem: FireFox was set to use a proxy. I set that back to no proxy and the redirects to Bing went away.

Search Reset extension installed and ran, but something (popup from some taskbar icon or FF addon -- they're close together and it disappeared quickly) blocked the changes to home page config. I reset that stuff manually under: Tools-->Options-->General.

Right-clicking the newtab checkerboard icon brought up the usual context menu for off-link right clicks on web pages, with no option to reset anything, BUT after using Hitman Pro and restarting the machine, that problem has cleared up.

Internet Explorer is still hijacked, so Hitman Pro did not solve all problems on this machine. I want to use Firefox awhile before I call this post solved.

26 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, this sounds like a problem possibly caused by malware/malware on your pc. please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (in particular entrusted11, other things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel / programs and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and run a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and different other tools like the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner.

Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware

Support Forum Moderator

The Conduit Plugin and the associated preference changes don't become installed all by themselves, the user is involved as a result of installing "crap" extensions or other garbage programs. You need to be more careful when deciding what add-ons or programs you install.

To fix Firefox the first thing to do is to remove that Entrusted Toolbar extension through the Extensions tab of the Add-on manager.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-toolbar-has-taken-over-your-firefox-search

Then install the Search Reset extension - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/

Then fix the about:newtab preference - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites#w_how-do-i-turn-... - and instead of double-clicking that preference, right-click that pref and select Reset.

New User

Comments by a Forum Moderator.

(This thread has over 80000 views)

Readers of the thread may be interested in a summary of some of this advice, including links for genuine free antimalware tools; and advice on preventing re occurrence of this and similar problems.

• I have posted downthread 10thFeb
  • Please start your own question if you need help with your own problem
    Use this special link it is direct & quicker cutting out some steps
    Remember to follow prompts to provide troubleshooting information. You should see a green button to help by automating that.

A note as to what was done before hitting the forum: Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware complete scans, which found and removed a number to things, all Conduit related. Kapersky TDSSKiller and MDAM chameleon found no problems.

RE >>To fix Firefox the first thing to do is to remove that Entrusted Toolbar extension through the Extensions tab of the Add-on manager. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-toolbar-has-taken-over-your-firefox-search

The "entrusted11" addon pretended to uninstall. Upon FF restart, it was still there. In the meantime, I ran Hitman Pro scanner. It found & fixed several Conduit things that the others missed, plus a known malware. After a machine restart, the Entrusted11 addon did uninstall for real.

Another problem: FireFox was set to use a proxy. I set that back to no proxy and the redirects to Bing went away.

Search Reset extension installed and ran, but something (popup from some taskbar icon or FF addon -- they're close together and it disappeared quickly) blocked the changes to home page config. I reset that stuff manually under: Tools-->Options-->General.

Right-clicking the newtab checkerboard icon brought up the usual context menu for off-link right clicks on web pages, with no option to reset anything, BUT after using Hitman Pro and restarting the machine, that problem has cleared up.

Internet Explorer is still hijacked, so Hitman Pro did not solve all problems on this machine. I want to use Firefox awhile before I call this post solved.

New User

After cleaning Win 7 registry of everything search.conduit, about.config in firefox, etc. and etc., I went to addons in ff and removed vafmusic (or whatever) and that ended the search.conduit.com (popup windows) interference for me.

New User

Tried all of the suggestions proposed. Neither of them worked. Found a "Search Protect" in my tray. Uninstalled that shit using windows functions and now it is back to normal. Hope it helps and they don't invent the new extension/protection program/virus.

New User

Hi all, I had this same problem..Conduit infested all 3 of my browsers!. I originally tried to remove it by going to 'uninstall programs' in my control panel..I couldn't find anything named conduit there so I finally ended up using CCleaner (free version).. and under the 'tools' bar they had an uninstaller program that listed all of my programs.. I finally found conduit! It was listed under a a hidden name called "search protect". I removed it immediately, and cleaned my entire computer!

New User

Hi. Just saw this forum, and thought I could add something to it. This conduit has hijacked my computer 3 times, and does not allow me control to change my homepage. Even going under internet options and changing my home page manually, does not work. All 3 times, I finally restarted my computer from factory level and go through 4 to 5 hours for it to reboot. Have they tracked the source of this conduit yet? All 3 times it hit my computer, it was directly after downloading a Flash Player. My computer continually prompts me, that to access items, I must download the new version of Flash, but I do not want the conduit that comes with it. I always check all boxes that say I do not want tool bars, and do not change my homepage, but it does it anyway. I say the problem is with Flash, that is the only times this has happened to me. Why are we forced to take Flash, to keep our computers up to date, when they are forcing this conduit down our computers throat. If I have to use Flash, for my work, fine, but I do not want this conduit, that comes with it. Any suggestions or Ideas? Stop Hijacking my homepage-Flash Player.

New User

Sgttipper1967: if you are getting infected with Conduit from updating your flash player, you may not be using the genuine Adobe product. I have seen them offer to install a different relatively useless toolbar but they always give the option not to do so. if you are using some product other than Adobe, I suggest you switch. It sounds as though you either have a bogus flash player or you are visiting one of the dubious web sites that claim you need a flash player upgrade and pretend to install one but put on the conduit mess instead. Also, whenever any site tells you that you need a flash upgrade or some such and offers you a button to click, it is much safer to ignore that button, open another tab and go directly to the official site for that software and download directly from them.

Regular User

You may try this:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2012/01/searchconduitcom-uninstall-guide.html (skip the download button) http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

Also, there's a tool called AdwCleaner which may help you as well. Or your could simply reset Firefox and run Malwarebytes.