Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing temporary files in Win7 has bad effects in FireFox

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Clearing temporary files in Win7 has bad effects in FireFox

I made a BIG mistake and went through the process of clearing temporary internet files in WIndows 7. I now have several frequently used Web sites which are not coming up correctly. For example, when I select ancestry.com there is a button to sign in but clicking on it does not give me a signin window. My normal home page of www.slac.stanford.edu brings up a list of text items but not the picture that I expect. There are several others which should have buttons to click on but do not. These all work correctly if I use IE but something happened when I cleared the temporary files which is causing Firefox to interact with these sites incorrectly. There must be a setting someplace that got cleared. Where do I look and/or how do I get my familiar Firefox back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Clearing temporary files in Win7 has bad effects in FireFox

I gave up trying to find and fix the glitch. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it. No change when I told it to not remove my user data and settings. So I backed up my bookmarks and uninstalled it again, this time telling it to clear user data and settings. This time the reinstall seems to have fixed the problem.

4 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Can you attach a screenshot?

Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.

Make sure that you haven't enabled a High Contrast theme in the Windows/Mac Accessibility settings.

Make sure that you allow pages to choose their own colors.

• Tools > Options > Content : Fonts & Colors > Colors : [X] "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above"

Note that these settings affect background images.

See also:

New User

Screenshot attached (hopefully) of the slac.stanford.edu home page.

2013-11-13-00-23-37-ac1a8b.png
New User

Additional screen shots -- one using IE and the other with the problem in FIrefox. I have run Firefox in safe mode and checked plugins. They seem to be ok. There has to be something that got deleted or changed when I "cleaned" stuff.

2013-11-13-08-26-24-10c45e.png 2013-11-13-08-26-08-55d7cd.png
New User

I gave up trying to find and fix the glitch. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it. No change when I told it to not remove my user data and settings. So I backed up my bookmarks and uninstalled it again, this time telling it to clear user data and settings. This time the reinstall seems to have fixed the problem.