cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear recent searches from the Search bar

Site Moderator

Clear recent searches from the Search bar

The Search Bar is located to the right of the Location Bar.
Search Bar - Win1 Search Bar - Mac1 Search Bar - Lin1 Search1 29 - Win Search1 29 - Mac Search1 29 - Lin SearchBar-fx31 SearchBar-fx34

Over time, the Search bar history in Firefox can grow quite large. If needed, you can clear items from the Search bar history. This article explains how to do that.

Clearing all search items

To clear all items, right-clickhold down the Ctrl key while you click on the input field of the Search bar, and select Clear Search History. Your Search bar history is cleared.

• If Clear Search History is grayed out, that means there are no items in your search history to clear.
    Clear Search Bar History - Win 2

a2304ea594f998a25d9d66496158ef80-1236128646-616-1.PNG

To clear all items:

1. Click on the menu button new fx menu to the right of the navigation bar to open the menu panel.
  2. On the menu panel, click on History.
    history menu 29
  3. Click on Clear Recent History.
    clear history 29
  4. In the dialog box that opens, choose Everything in the Time range to clear field and make sure that Forms and search history has a check mark next to it.
    clear all history
  5. Click the Clear Now button to finish.

Clearing individual search items

To clear individual items from the Search bar history, click on the Search bar input field. Press the and keys to scroll the list of items. To delete the highlighted item, press Shift+Delete.

6 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Clear recent searches from the Search bar

bens545 added new screenshots and a summary.

I replaced {for fx4,fx5} by {for fx4}, screenshots by screenshots with the aero theme and the default Firefox settings shot in front of a blank page (Adding screenshots should be updated), the summary by a sentence.

It needs review.

Site Moderator

What do you mean by "screenshots with the aero theme"? Your screenshots look like they are using a solid blue background. Aero display of windows lets the background show through with a blurred effect, depending on what the background is. There are a number of built-in Aero themes for Windows 7. See http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/windows-7-feature-focus-aero-themes

Even using the default Windows 7 Aero theme, a resized Firefox window over a blank tab shows slight color variation in the window border. Screenshot: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/gallery/image/7693 see /forums/contributors/706935?last=41093&page=2#post-41091

Site Moderator

I reviewed both revisions. In both cases, using either

"Press the {key Down} arrow key 

or

"Press the {key Down Arrow} key 

... to scroll the list of items." is confusing, since the keyboard (at least my Windows 7 keyboard) doesn't have a key labeled "Down" or "Down Arrow". I would just not use the {key} markup.

Regular Contributor

What do you mean by "screenshots with the aero theme"?

Similar to the ones shot by Michael.

I would just not use the {key} markup.

OK. You can do it.

Site Moderator

Similar to the ones shot by Michael.

??? I suppose we'll have to wait for Michael to reply, or until Adding screenshots is updated to include specifics on how to make screenshots for Windows 7 so that they match your screenshots as far as what the window borders look like, if that's important.

OK. You can do it.

I'll wait awhile to give bens545 a chance to see this thread and make another revision that does not use the {key} markup for the Down arrow in the last section, since he made the original article edit.

@bens545
Just so you know, there is no current policy on what a Windows 7 screenshot of a Firefox window should look like, as it applies to window borders, although Michael (Verdi) did say here, in a reply to scoobidiver, Yes Areo style. You can edit the revision by scoobidiver if you want to use his screenshots, which he says is how Michael (Verdi) does Windows 7 screenshots. As far as using {for fx4, fx5} it will display correctly for both Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 but it isn't necessary, since {for fx4} now means "show for Firefox 4 and above. " See How to use For (it was recently updated).

Site Moderator

I edited the last revision to remove the {key} markup for "down arrow" in the last section and then approved it.

@ scoobidiver: On the preferred way to create Windows 7 screenshots, I just came across bug 668340 comment 1, so it isn't necessary to use the default Windows 7 aero theme when creating a screenshot. See my post in the Adding screenshots discussion thread here: /forums/contributors/707035?last=40811#post-40811