Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing search engine box also changes default search engine in URL bar

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Changing search engine box also changes default search engine in URL bar

I just updated to 23.0, and for some reason changing the search engine in the search box also changes the default search engine in the URL bar as well. I'm not sure if this is intended functionality (I hope it isn't), but it is kind of irritating. I wasn't sure if it was related to an addon I installed around the same time, so I tried disabling that, but the problem was still there; therefore, I'm tentatively assuming it has to do with 23.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Changing search engine box also changes default search engine in URL bar

hello, yes this is (unfortunately) the new intended behaviour in firefox 23 and upwards & was introduced to address the issue that many toolbars/adware are overwriting the keyword.url preference without the knowledge of users...

also refer to bug #738818 (please don't post in bug reports).

Additional comment the restartless add-on Keyword Searchmay solve the problem please see my post /questions/963439?page=2#answer-463664 ~J99

28 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, yes this is (unfortunately) the new intended behaviour in firefox 23 and upwards & was introduced to address the issue that many toolbars/adware are overwriting the keyword.url preference without the knowledge of users...

also refer to bug #738818 (please don't post in bug reports).

Additional comment the restartless add-on Keyword Searchmay solve the problem please see my post /questions/963439?page=2#answer-463664 ~J99

Site Moderator

It is intended behaviour, another improvement. I am on Aurora and so notice this every now and again. Mild irritant & I have not yet tried to figure out if there is a workaround.

Site Moderator

the change doesn't make much sense to me, since this change is making the search bar rather repetitive. the foobar addon does a nice job integrating it into the address bar: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/foobar

New Contributor

Hmm, interesting. Unfortunate change as far as I'm concerned, but I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for the replies, all!

Site Moderator

I also found

But have not tried it.

I liked having the location bar use Google whilst having a choice of the defaults plus whatever else I have installed, from the search bar. No doubt someone will make an add-on that recreates that, maybe it already exists.

Now I sometimes key something in to the location bar and only realise when I get the odd results that I need to reset the searchbar.

Not sure I follow the logic of this helping with a search hijack. What's to stop a search hijack messing with the search bar options. Yes that can be reset but so can the keyword.

I am sure I will get used to it.

Site Moderator

This is an interesting one

As the name suggests it works on the context search

New Contributor

I'd like to cast my (imaginary) vote in opting out of this behaviour. I hate it.

We previously had the option of two search bars. Now it's reduced to one.

The URL bar should be for URLs with default to google for real name searches. That's what makes sense. Not having typos look up YouTube, The PirateBay or whatever you have specced in the Search Bar.

Really, really, stupid change. At least give us the option of restoring the old system.

Support Forum Moderator

I believe the plan is that the Search Bar is going bye-bye in Firefox 25, leaving the Location Bar and the about:home page for searching.

Site Moderator

You can consider to use a one letter keyword search for searching via the location bar.
You can set a keyword for an installed search engine via Manage Search Engines.