Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Firefox 23 - not for the better

SOLVED
Highlighted
All Star Contributor

Changes in Firefox 23 - not for the better

I just got Firefox 23, and found there is no more Enable Javascript checkbox in the Content area of Preferences and there is no more ability to prevent changes to the functioning of the context menu and prevent the changing of the size or position of the window. I really do not understand why certain settings to control what may be done by web page code to the browser are being gutted out. Presumably it means that any smartass who can write a web page can force my browser window to be whatever size he wants it to be. That used to drive me crazy in the past, and it will do the same thing again. Is there any way to make a capability policy that could stop the resizing of the window? I just found out that I can still use the context menu if I use Shift-right-click. Why the change?

Autohiding the tab bar does not work any more. I thought the big argument for trying to put tabs on top and into the title bar was to save space? Forcing the tab bar to be visible all the time will certainly not save space, so why do it?

My bookmark menu was removed from the bookmarks toolbar. I tried to find a button that would put it back, and there are two bookmarks buttons in the customize window. Are the developers trying to make things harder, or what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Changes in Firefox 23 - not for the better

you can easily hide your Tab bar with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/, restore the ability to disable Javascript with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/settingsanity/ (among other add-ons)

24 REPLIES
Site Moderator

you can easily hide your Tab bar with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/, restore the ability to disable Javascript with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/settingsanity/ (among other add-ons)

All Star Contributor

Thanks. I found that first extension and I am now using it. The second one I do not need as long as the settings that I have already are still working.

I presume that the Mozilla developers want to force the users of Firefox to become more familiar with the settings in about:config, since they seem to be steadily removing settings from the normal user GUI.

I still do not understand why the bookmark button would be removed from my bookmarks toolbar and put back in the customize window. Why change the toolbar layout?

Legendary Contributor

It's unfortunate that these settings are harder to find now. This is the old help article description annotated with my notes:

Advanced JavaScript Settings

Allow scripts to:

• [X] Move or resize existing windows: Uncheck this option/preference to disable moving and resizing windows using scripts.
    • In about:config: dom.disable_window_move_resize
      (default=false, set to true to block sites)
  • [ ] Raise or lower windows: Uncheck this option/preference to make sure scripts cannot raise (bring to the front) or lower (send to the back) windows.
    • In about:config: dom.disable_window_flip
      (default=true, set to false to allow sites)
  • [X] Disable or replace context menus: Uncheck this option/preference to prevent web pages from disabling or changing the Firefox context menu.
    • In about:config: dom.event.contextmenu.enabled
      (default=true, set to false to block sites)
Grand Master Contributor

Hi finitarry refer to

Legendary Contributor

My bookmarks drop-down button was removed from the Bookmarks Toolbar.

At first I thought it was a glitch, since I can't think of a good reason for it.

However, upon placing the button back on the bar I notice its behavior as changed. Previously it would hide itself when the classic menu bar is displayed only when I placed it on the Navigation toolbar. Now it also hides when I place it on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

So either it is a new button, or it was removed because I have the classic menu bar displayed. Or it is a glitch. :-)

All Star Contributor

Waka_Flocka_Flame

I get the point about disabling encryption and images, but the javascript options were useful, so why were they systematically cut out a few at a time? It would be interesting to know when the versions of encryption algorithms change, so where would I find that information now? I can see some reference to TLS in about:config, but I am not sure what those settings mean.

jscher2000

Since I am using Mac OS, I have had the bookmarks menu button on the bookmarks toolbar as well as a bookmarks menu on the normal menu bar, since that one cannot be hidden (hooray!). After I put the bookmarks menu button back on the bookmarks toolbar, it behaves as before and is never hidden.

New Contributor

I just opened an account here to provide feedback on the problems with the new release, but you seem to have covered everything.

Personally, I can't put up with the tab business and don't want add-ons, so I have reverted to version 22, but I'd love to hear if this business is reversed on later versions of Firefox so I can continue to more forward with Mozilla.

Support Forum Moderator

I doubt if those changes are going to be reversed. An all new user interface is being developed and this "tab business" is part of the 3rd volley of changes being made in preparation for the new user appearance. If you don't like the way Google Chrome looks, you aren't going to like the new Firefox user interface.

New Contributor

What about the fact that instead of defaulting to a Google search anything you type into the address bar that isn't a url defaults to whatever search engine you have active next to it? I always keep Wikipedia active in the search bar and when I tried to Google something today with the address bar it did a Wikipedia search. What's the point of using the address bar to search if we have to change the search engine in the search box anyway?