cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help with a misplaying online Flash game?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Can you help with a misplaying online Flash game?

I don't know if this question is appropriate for this forum, but here's taking a chance, and I hope you can help.

A Flash game I play at discovery.com worked fine about a year ago. I stopped playing it for several months, and then went back to it.

When I went back to it it didn't play fully any more. It gets to a certain level, then hangs at the same spot every time (some screens download but not enough components to play the game).

I clear my cache every day, so it's not that. I've updated Firefox (twice since the problem started), so it's not that. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Flash player - same problem happens. I've tried disabling my add ons - no change. I've tried two other browsers, and the game either stops at the same point, or earlier. I've tried allowing the relevant cookies; doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've tried messing with Adobe's Flash Global Settings, trying them in different configurations (allowing everything, allowing nothing, and every switch in between); no help.

I fiddle with my security settings sometimes and wonder if I changed some default setting that is blocking something, or some automated security upgrade in the later browser(s) is doing something.

I don't seem to have any other Flash problems on my computer (videos play fine); the "test" at Adobe.com works. I have the latest version.

I'm no technie so if you have an idea, thanks for your input.

5 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can you help with a misplaying online Flash game?

Please check if all your plugins are up-to-date. To do this, go to the Mozilla Plugin Check site.

Once you're there, the site will check if all your plugins have the latest versions. If you see plugins in the list that have a yellow Update button or a red Update now button, please update these immediately.

To do so, please click each red or yellow button. Then you should see a site that allows you to download the latest version. Double-click the downloaded file to start the installation and follow the steps mentioned in the installation procedure.

Site Moderator

Please Update to the latest Firefox 18.0.x version.

• Help > About Firefox

The Firefox Firefox 17.0 version that you currently run is no longer supported with security updates

New Contributor

Plug ins are up to date. Firefox version matterless.

Next, please! I've been dealing with this for months.

Site Moderator

You can check for problems caused by recent Flash updates and try these:

• disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
  • disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
New Contributor

I don't have Real Player.

I use Windows XP, not Vista, so there shouldn't be a "protected mode".

I've already disabled "hardware acceleration", though it gets re-enabled on its own sometimes; I don't know how.

People, I've been all over Firefox and Adobe looking for the answer. I've tried everything suggested online.

I need your insights! Thank you.