Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn off the single tab in 23

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Can't turn off the single tab in 23

There's a single tab and a plus sign next to it in 23. I thought we had the ability to turn that off.

While I'm here, I'll also say that for a while now it's been weird, opening a new window flashes open for a moment and then flips back to my original window. It makes multi window browsing difficult, sometimes.

Before you ask, no, I never use tabs. I detest tabs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Can't turn off the single tab in 23

Hello,

In Firefox 23, as part of an effort to simplify the firefox options set and protect users from unintentially damaging their Firefox and prepare for a planned redesign of the browser, the option to hide the tab bar was removed.

Fortunately, this can easily be resolved if you desire the keep tabs hidden. You can install "Hide tab bar with one tab", an extension hosted on Mozilla's add-ons site, which will restore the ability to hide the tab bar.

Thank you and I hope this helps!

37 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Hello,

In Firefox 23, as part of an effort to simplify the firefox options set and protect users from unintentially damaging their Firefox and prepare for a planned redesign of the browser, the option to hide the tab bar was removed.

Fortunately, this can easily be resolved if you desire the keep tabs hidden. You can install "Hide tab bar with one tab", an extension hosted on Mozilla's add-ons site, which will restore the ability to hide the tab bar.

Thank you and I hope this helps!

New Contributor

There is another "thread" with same response about installing "Hide Tab Bar"

Installing it DID NOT solve problem!

Why does FF constantly put something in an update that users don't have option of not using?

I DON'T WANT TABS! I DON'T LIKE TABS!

How hard is that to understand?

Get rid of this before I give up and go to another browser which might give me less headaches.

New Contributor

I tried installing this add-on again. This time it worked.

Still doesn't absolve FF of boneheaded decision to put in this new TAB bar w/o making it an option.

Site Moderator

I'm glad to hear that installing the extension a second time did the trick.

The people who answer questions here, for the most part, are other Firefox users volunteering their time (like me), not Mozilla employees or Firefox developers. If you're interested, the background for this decision is explained here:

• Bug 855370 - Remove the ability to not "Always show the tab bar"

Additional comments have been disabled in the bug report. If you want to leave feedback for Firefox developers, you can go to the Firefox Help menu and select Submit Feedback... or use this link. (You'll need to be on the latest version of Firefox to submit feedback). Your feedback gets collected at http://input.mozilla.org/, where a team of people read it and gather data about the most common issues.

New Contributor

Well, it looks like I need to find another browser. Apparently future changes for Firefox are not being done in the best interest of the users, but in the best interest of the developers.

Had I wanted to support that attitude, I would have stayed with Internet Exploder.

Damn shame. It was a really nice product.

New Contributor

Wow, reading that bug thread, Josiah Bruner is an arrogant turd in serious need of an administrative beating. How dare he pull that crap, "...in this day and age..."

New Contributor

Thank you Alice.

However, as one poster in the bugzilla thread pointed out, whoever decides on what changes should or should not be implemented must realize that not every FF user is either tech-savy or can appreciate need for a change.

This change came unasked for and thrust into an update which led to me and no doubt countless others scrambling to figure out what was going on.

And Bruner (?)'s rationale for change didn't convince me --- even if I could figure out what he was talking about.

Point is, unless it's a critical upgrade that has to be made or FF will explode into ether, leave the user with options and leave standard features as they are. Better to do that than unleash torrents of outrage and threats (actual or implied) of dropping FF

New Contributor

Please add the option to disable Tabs back. There are many users who are not using space wasting Tabs.

New Contributor

There is more to this than one simple option being violated. I have been around the software industry for 30 years. When objective logical decisions are being replaced with elitism and arrogant driven decisions, those products eventually failed.

We seem to be stuck in a period of time where changes are being made without regard to the users who actually use the products. Many examples of this exist today. Clumsy is replacing clean. Awkward seems to be the new way of doing things. Yet, those making those changes have convinced themselves it is a good thing.

In software, on occasion, there are times when things are just right. When things work seamlessly they should not be discounted for the sake of something different.

As a developer, I loathe change for the sake of change. Unfortunately, I am in the minority. Of course, ask any of the kids today, and I have become irrelevant due to my philosophies. They have convinced themselves of their own superiority and chose to ignore history.

I hate to see this happen. Good browsers are getting difficult to find.