cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enable javascript- No plugins Icon appears to click on adressbar

Highlighted
New User

Can't enable javascript- No plugins Icon appears to click on adressbar

I have this problem with win7/firefox 18, java is "enabled" at every turn in my settings for win and firefox, but every site I want to use with java gives "javascript not enabled" and there Is NO red icon thing as you describe on my address bar- where is it?? I am using firefox 18, but have never seen the red lego looking plugin icon on the addressbar you mention in your how to fix javascript article- turning off javascript is making it impossible to buy things and to download on several sites!

6 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Can't enable javascript- No plugins Icon appears to click on adressbar

hello, javascript is something different than java. please make sure that it is enabled in firefox > tools > options > content & not blocked by any addon (like noscript, etc.)

JavaScript settings and preferences for interactive web pages

New User

Yes, I am aware that javascript and java are not the same thing, I Have in fact checked and rechecked the "enable javascript" button a million times - it is "enabled", I do not use no-script, and have tried it with ad-blocker disabled and it did not help.

Site Moderator

ok, in this case please try to reset firefox & see if this is making a difference:

Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New User

I have the same problem - For me it happens on secure sites. The lock hides the java plugin icon. I can see the java red plugin icon just fine on pages that are not https:/encrypted.

Since the person above is shopping and downloading, I suspect that he is also trying to access features of a encrypted sites.

It's quite frustrating.

New User

SOLUTION--- Bizarrely, apparently Java was not installed at all on my PC. (I am running Windows 8 on a new HP Pavilon g7.)

1. Tried re-setting Firefox, it didn't change anything.
  2. Went to Java.com, it suggested verifying the version of Java I was running but the verification process didn't work.
  3. I gave up trying to verify and just downloaded the current version of Java, restarted, went back to Java.com, and was able to verify the version of Java I am now running (the current one).
  4. Went back to the site that previously told me Java was not enabled, and this time it instead asked if I wanted to run Java, I walked through clicking yes/next a couple times, and then the video I wanted to watch ran, no problem.
  5. I closed out of that site, then went back, and this time videos run without
  6. I still show no red plugin icon on my browser address bar (on any site) but it apparently doesn't matter.

I hope this works for you!

New User

BTW--anomalon, your question repeatedly uses the terms "java" and "javascript" as if they are interchangeable; that's why madperson brought up that they are different things. I believe that the problem you are asking about is a java problem. If so, you will have better luck solving it if you omit the word "javascript" in your searches and questions.