cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't copy translated text from Google Translate web page?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Can't copy translated text from Google Translate web page?

It seems this happened after Firefox latest update. I can't seem to be able to copy the translated text box in Google Translate. I tried using IE and that worked. Hopefully you guys can test it on your side to see if it's working for you?

I also tried it with disabling Adblock Plus, but that didn't help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Can't copy translated text from Google Translate web page?

This seems to be working correctly after updating to the newest flash player this morning.

27 REPLIES
New User

Sorry, false alarm. I fixed it by disabling Flash Block. Before it used to work without having to disable it, but I guess something must have changed since then. I use the translate site frequently and almost every other day, so it must have happened during a recent update.

I now added Google translate to my white-list in Flash Block and now I can copy and paste the translated box without an issue.

Before it was not allowing me to paste the copied content.

New User

I don't think it was a false alarm, because this is happening to me also, as of tonight. I do have flashblock, but disabling it does not help me. Disabling all addons also does not help, nor does clearing all cache, history, and cookies. So far I have only noticed this on Google Translate. The right click context menu is there, and I can choose copy, but nothing goes to the clipboard. The keyboard shortcut for copy also does not work. I can paste into the "translate from" box, but I can't copy the translated text. This only happens in Firefox. Everything works normally in Chrome, IE, and Opera.

Site Moderator

I can confirm that the Google Translate page doesn't work for me as well if I try to copy the translated text to the clipboard.

Looks that there is some JavaScript running that is preventing the clipboard from working.
I can drag the selected text to a text area like this one, but the clipboard only works if I disable JavaScript.
There seems to be something on the clipboard (paste is enabled and previous clipboard content is lost).

Hopefully will Google fix this issue soon.

SUMO Contributor

Hi thebigchief, I have the same problem on Google Translate. I don't know what's going on there because Firefox usually does not let sites play with the clipboard.

As a workaround until someone figures out what is going wrong there, you could use a bookmarklet -- a script that you save as a bookmark and click when you want to run it. This one is specific to the Google Translate site as of today (changes to the page could break it).

(1) Copy the following line of code (it's all one line):

javascript:void(window.prompt("Copy translation result (e.g., Ctrl+c Enter):",document.getElementById("result_box").textContent));

(2) Right-click the Bookmarks Toolbar and choose New Bookmark

(3) Paste the code in as the Location

(4) Name the bookmark as you wish (for example, CopyGoogTrans)

Now, to copy, instead of selecting the result text, click the bookmark and follow the instructions.

New User

You guys are right. It stopped working for me today, again. I disabled flash block, but that doesn't fix it. So it's still an issue.

Curious? How come some posts above are doubled-posted? Was strange to read the same posts more than once.

New User

Hi, I too have the same problem: I disabled the plugin and tried it in safe mode but I haven't solved. Solved using bingtranslator. I hope that this bag will be solved. Excuse me for my English.

New User

In FireFox 16.0.2 I click copy translated text from Google Translate field , and when I try paste text in any another field - nothing happens, text don't pasted, WTF Mozilla ? Before all worked normally! cache and cookie cleaned fully, did not help!

New User

@cor-el - You wrote: "Hopefully will Google fix this issue soon."

I don't see how this is Google's problem to fix. They don't serve up a different page for different browsers. This problems does not happen in other browsers, and only began to happen after the latest FF update. It is Firefox's problem to fix.

SUMO Contributor