Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change volume in youtube

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Can't change volume in youtube

Hi everyone,

I have FF for some time now and until recently i have had no issues with it.

My problem goes like this.

When watching a youtube video you press the play button. But when i do that i cant change the volume anymore using the buttons on my keyboard.

But whenever the video is playing and i minimize the window i can change the volume again.

I dont have this problem in IE, so the keyboard is not to blame.

I also cant press F5 when playing a video in youtube. In order to be able to do that i have to minimize and then maximize again and then i can just refresh as long as i dont click the video.

For some reason whenever the video gets clicked i lose some functionality of my keyboard. Until i minimize the window and then reopen it again Smiley Frustrated

All my addons like flash, quicktime, java,...... are all up to date.

Hope you guys can help

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Can't change volume in youtube

I have a similar problem, I'm on a laptop so I use the buttons designated for volume control instead. After the 11.3 update clicking on anything that uses flash, like youtube videos causes the volume control to stop working. Yet manually adjusting it from the taskbar fixes it until you click on something using the flash plugin. The plugin crashed on me once while I used a different site. Also I have not tried to test this again using Firefox 13.0.1. (I tried it in 13.0). For the time being I uninstalled 11.3 and went back to 11.2, works fine.

I think it's useful to note that you have to uninstall 11.3 first, (I just used Adobe's uninstall utility, not sure if uninstalling from Windows Programs and Features would get rid of all data.) to be able to reinstall 11.2. I found the older version on FileHippo.

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox_64/12262/ (It's the 64-bit version, the 32-bit version is available on their site as well.

21 REPLIES
New Contributor

this could be a bug. for now, you may want to go to manual volume tuning while you troubleshoot. i am not a youtube technition, i do not know how it works. sorry!

Site Moderator

Does it help if you click the mouse anywhere in the user interface or any part of the web page that doesn't show the Flash plugin if you right-click to move the focus away from the Flash plugin?

New Contributor

I have a similar problem, I'm on a laptop so I use the buttons designated for volume control instead. After the 11.3 update clicking on anything that uses flash, like youtube videos causes the volume control to stop working. Yet manually adjusting it from the taskbar fixes it until you click on something using the flash plugin. The plugin crashed on me once while I used a different site. Also I have not tried to test this again using Firefox 13.0.1. (I tried it in 13.0). For the time being I uninstalled 11.3 and went back to 11.2, works fine.

I think it's useful to note that you have to uninstall 11.3 first, (I just used Adobe's uninstall utility, not sure if uninstalling from Windows Programs and Features would get rid of all data.) to be able to reinstall 11.2. I found the older version on FileHippo.

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox_64/12262/ (It's the 64-bit version, the 32-bit version is available on their site as well.

New Contributor

I've tried tl101spam's solution and it fixes the problem.

Just uninstall the Flash player software in add/remove programs in control panel and then you can install the older software

Many thanks

New Contributor

Yep, same problem here... looks like the new update of flash hooks the multimedia buttons... also what's interesting is that clicking on the html part of page doesn't release the hook... you need to switch to other tab or click on the taskbar. But now developers can change volume of flash with multimedia buttons... I think this is a bad idea to do this...

New Contributor

Same problem. Anything with Flash and my dedicated hard keys for Volume +, -, and Mute no longer work. In order to get them to work I have to click outside the browser or on the Taskbar and it will re-activate the function until I start the next video.

It's highly frustrating, especially when you run across a video whose volume is set too high or you simply want to quickly mute to answer a call.

Coincidentally, I'm also have the same non-responsive issue from my dedicated Home and End key which I use to quickly advance to the top or bottom of a webpage.

New Contributor

If anyone needs the 32-Bit version of 11.2.xxx I found a copy here: http://www.3support.com/adobe-flash-player-11-2-202-235-non-ie-32-bit-64-bit/

Thus far all appears to be back to normal.

Now if only Mozilla could find a way to not make FF chew through memory when running Flash and then actually release the memory(!) after you close the tab.

New Contributor

I have the same exact problem too. Keyboard media keys not working when watching Youtube. "manually" adjusting volume from system tray brings things back to normal for a while. I installed older version of Flash, volume bug is now gone but the older version tends to crash and freeze Firefox quite often. I really hope this will be fixed soon.

Win7 64bit i5-2500K

New Contributor

Same problem here. When watching Youtube I cannot change the audio with my keyboard volume up / down and mute keys anymore. They don't work until I change the tab or minimize Firefox, or click the volume icon in the Windows tray bar.

Downgrading to Flash 11.2 is not a good solution from a security standpoint, if you look at the changelog (http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Macromedia-Flash-Player-Changelog-24146.html) for Flash 11.3 you will see that they introduced protected mode for Firefox. This is a terrible dilema: usable volume control or the latest security updates.