cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser keeps opening with previous tabs from day before. How do I stop this?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Browser keeps opening with previous tabs from day before. How do I stop this?

Under Tools>Options>General I have the browser set when I open the browser to "open up a blank page" but it keeps opening up previous tabs from the day before. How can I stop this? I read the forum boards but either did not find it or overlooked the answer. I checked all my other settings and cannot find anything that would be causing this. Please advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Browser keeps opening with previous tabs from day before. How do I stop this?

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

13 REPLIES
New User

Re: Browser keeps opening with previous tabs from day before. How do I stop this?

Maybe you have pinned them . Right click on one of them, and select "unpin tab" . Please tell me if the problem persists.

Best Regards, Osman A.

New User

Nope not pinned. I also checked to see if the Browser actually closed properly, and it appears to have. Nothing shows under the task manager.

I also tried clearing any cache files but no luck.

Site Moderator

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

New User

I was hoping to avoid a full reset, but if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm open to it :-)

New User

Could you provide a screenshot with the tabs? Or at least the name of the websites,please?

New User

@Osman, They are all different depending on where i go for example, Ebay, news sites, weather sites, shopping sites, etc...I dont know if it would help to list them? If I open 3 or 4 links or even upto 10, and then exit the browser, those same tabs will open to whatever website I had. Somehow the browser is remembering the previous sessions even though I have it set up to open a "blank Page" in the options menu.

All Star

You could set your home page to about:blank. That will get you a blank page.

New User

Maybe the session is restoring permanently : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Restore Take a look here. Maybe it helps with something.

Site Moderator

Make sure that Firefox closes properly and that there isn't a hanging Firefox or plugin-container process left in the task manager.

Use "Firefox/File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit") to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the title bar.

See: