cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmarks become duplicated, rearranged, deleted, moved or all the above after every PC cold start.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Bookmarks become duplicated, rearranged, deleted, moved or all the above after every PC cold start.

Since 8/26/12 in one folder bookmarks and sub-folders either disappeared, were rearranged into other folders or "Unsorted Bookmarks", duplicated, old ones from older Netscape folders appeared in newer Mozilla folders, bookmarks and folders were duplicated but the bookmarks in them were either older ones from the past (see Netscape) or were deleted or all the above. The last Netscape folder (version 8) and the Mozilla one have flipped positions, (the latter used to be above the Netscape one). This occurs after every cold PC start. After several trouble shooting attempts it is now happening in all folders. I have to backup the bookmark file into a separate folder in My Documents as the regular backups all seem to be corrupted in the same way. I even purge the data in SYNC and that has done nothing to resolve this. I have deleted the old bookmarks from Netscape 6/7 and the problems still occurs. Deleting duplicates makes things worse. The Places Maintenance add on worked only 2 consecutive days; It is no longer effective. I have to restore the backup I have made each time I use Fire Fox after a cold start.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Bookmarks become duplicated, rearranged, deleted, moved or all the above after every PC cold start.

Did you check all (10) JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder to see if any still have uncorrupted bookmarks?

If all your bookmark backups are corrupted then you first need to repair them in a clean and not corrupted places.sqlite file or try to do that via a HTML backup is a suitable HTML editor.

If the corruption always happens after booting the computer then some security software is the most likely cause for this.

You haven't answered which firewall and anti-virus you are using.

Some security software has virtualization or sandbox features that may cause problems by protecting and restoring files in the Firefox profile folder.

15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Bookmarks become duplicated, rearranged, deleted, moved or all the above after every PC cold start.

Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?

Some security software has virtualization or sandbox features that may cause problems by protecting and restoring files in the Firefox profile folder.

You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.

You can try to check and repair the places database with this extension:

New Contributor

Nothing has worked, but I saw this today: right after I restored the bookmarks file in the Show All Bookmarks folder several bookmarks and sub-folders were moved into the "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder along with bookmarks I had deleted weeks to months (years?) ago; this happened before my eyes. I have re-restored the bookmarks and this has not yet reoccurred. i am contemplating re-installing version 15 on top of the present one to see if this stops this problem. Also "Recently Bookmarked" has sites I have not been to in year as well as recent ones. What can I so? Smiley Sad

Support Forum Moderator

closed duplicate thread over here - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/937002

Are you using Firefox Sync, Xmarks, or CometMarks for synchronizing bookmarks across multiple devices or multiple browsers?

Site Moderator

Did you check all (10) JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder to see if any still have uncorrupted bookmarks?

If all your bookmark backups are corrupted then you first need to repair them in a clean and not corrupted places.sqlite file or try to do that via a HTML backup is a suitable HTML editor.

If the corruption always happens after booting the computer then some security software is the most likely cause for this.

You haven't answered which firewall and anti-virus you are using.

New Contributor

I am using Microsoft Essentials for anti virus and malware and windows Firewall in Win7 Pro. I've had them since I upgraded to Win 7 2 years ago and this is the first time I have seen his problem.

New Contributor

Yes I am. I have, for the third time, overwritten the data in Sync so that it matches this computer's data. I have also noted that the problem starts with Firefox startup: yesterday I saw it happen before my eyes just as FF started.

FYI - all older backups were deleted before that and all "Places" files were deleted just before what I described above.

New Contributor

I have, for the third time, overwritten the data in Sync so that it matches this computer's data. I have also noted that the problem starts with Firefox startup: yesterday I saw it happen before my eyes just as FF started.

FYI - all older backups were deleted before that and all "Places" files were deleted just before what I described above. It has yet to reoccur (24 hours).

I am using Microsoft Essentials for anti virus and Windows Firewall; this has not occurred with these two programs over the 2 years I have had Windows 7 Pro.

New Contributor

Ok this last effort seems to have worked as the bookmarks have remained unchanged since I cleared out all but the backup I made and cleared out Synch. The only problem now is Sync does not seem to be working as none of the present bookmarks have been updated on my main laptop. Every time I sync'ed it old bookmarks appeared and whole folders did not transfer over. I have manually transferred the last backup file from this PC to it so that it matches. I know most of the passwords were already there from when this process worked automatically but I am not sure if that is the case now. I will consider the original problem solved.

Regular Contributor

If you can post (or email to me) sync logs from each machine, I expect something obvious will jump out. Take a look at about:sync-log.