Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmarks are locked. How do I unlock?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Bookmarks are locked. How do I unlock?

Cannot move bookmarks wherever I want. They are stuck in alpha order. When I move one it goes back to alpha order. I would like to be able to move them manually in any order.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Bookmarks are locked. How do I unlock?

Where are you doing the sorting?

Is that in the Library (Bookmarks Manager)?

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.

Problems with bookmarks and history not working properly can be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite database file.

You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.

6 REPLIES
Site Moderator

First please update to Firefox 17.0.1. Update Firefox to the latest version. Then test again

New Contributor

Done. Still auto alpha lock when tested.

New Contributor

clicked on open bookmarks to confirm sort order set to unsorted as well.

Site Moderator

Where are you doing the sorting?

Is that in the Library (Bookmarks Manager)?

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.

Problems with bookmarks and history not working properly can be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite database file.

You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.

New Contributor

doing sorting in change view second drop down menu under open bookmarks

New Contributor

All set. Back in business :-)

It was the "sort bookmarks" add-on, which I'd just installed when the problem started. Funny how soon we forget these things.

Switched to safe mode and "sort bookmarks" was first add-on I tested. Problem solved.

Many thanks, btw.