cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Java and no Click to Play option.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Blocked Java and no Click to Play option.

Can someone please help? I am on FF 18, Windows XP and the latest Java (1.7.0_11). After spending many hours searching for and reading posts about FF blocking Java I fully understand the reasoning for this and it's fine by me BUT I do want to view/use java on trusted sites. The article, http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-use-java-if-its-been-blocked , seemed clear and simple enough BUT when I tried doing this on the Oracle Java test page, like others, I did not get any option to 'click to Play'. There was no red icon in the address url box (to click on) but there was a yellow pop up strip containing a blue icon on the left, the notice that a plugin was required and a button to install it. Clicking on the blue icon did not bring up any 'click to Play' option and this icon does not appear in the address url box. Clicking on the install button does only take me back to the download page at Oracle (and we can go on ad infinitum on this route).

Java works fine in IE (according to the Oracle test page). I have noticed that in FF, when I go to the test page, for what must be a milisecond I see the Java verification screen (rotating circle of blue dots) but then it gets blocked with the greyed out box. There is no message on that box as described in the above article, only a message that a plugin is required, clicking on that again takes me back to a fresh download button.

I have tried uninstalling Java and then downloading a fresh one through IE but that does not make any difference.

What can I do to get the 'click to play' option to work (any route would be fine i.e clicking on an icon or the greyed out boxes?

I have found that there is a FF click to play switch Addon at, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/click-to-play-switch/ but wonder if this would work if FF is already permanently blocking Java.

I am not a clued up techi guy so I can add any other info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Blocked Java and no Click to Play option.

You can see all about: protocol links on the about:about page for easier access.

22 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, in some instances firefox may not be able to detect that the java plugin is installed, because oracle made an error in registering the java plugin for mozilla-based browsers in version 7u10 & 7u11... this will apparently just be fixed with its 7u13 release.

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8005410

for different workarounds & troubleshooting steps in the meantime see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Windows_installation_issues

New User

Hi Madperson. Many thanks for the prompt reply (appreciated). I have read all the articles at the links you provided and have for the moment prepared to try another Java installation prior to the next release. As suggested in a mix of the articles, I have used the Add/remove programs to uninstal java and then ran the 'Fix It' tool at MS to see if all was uninstalled and it was. Looking into the list of IE addons there is no sign of Java BUT in FF the following is still listed, Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.110.21 10.11.2.21 (NP Runtime Script Plug-In Library For Java Deploy, (enabled). What do you suggest I do with this (should it be there and should I keep it enabled or not).

When it's time to download Java I will again do so in IE. I won't hold my breath though and will look out for the next release although in the article at the first link you gave me it does appear to say that the bug was fixed on the 17th Jan (or have I read it wrong). Before taking it off just now, the Java vrs I had was downloaded yesterday.

I for one know just how SERIOUS the consequences can be with Java vulnerabilities so any further advice now or later will be greatly appreciated.

Bartoni

Site Moderator

for me personally it worked by first manually deleting all the registry keys mentioned at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Add_back_missing_registry_key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft ones) & afterwards installing java again - but i don't know if this is solution that works generally.

New User

Hi again Madperson. I'm not a techi so you might have to hold my hand on this (your latest info). As yet I don't know how to look up registry keys so.....

Using RUN/ regedit, I found a main folder named JavaSoft. Inside this are folders:- a folder named Java Plug-in and inside that is (default) (Value not set)

a folder 10.7.2 and inside that is:- (default) (value not set), Java Home (C:\program Files\Java\jre7) Use Jave2 IExplorer Usenew Java Plugin

a folder named Java Web Start and inside that is:- (Default) (Value not set) current Version

another folder named 10.7.2 and inside that is:- (default) (value not set) Home c:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre7\bin Home

Should I delete the main folder? OR can you tell me how to see the actual registry keys which you mention?

In Program Files I found a folder named Java and inside this are the following empty folders:- jre6 bin lib + jre7 lib ext (but this has QTJava Zip inside it which I presume is related to Quick Time)

Should I delete anything here?

Thanks for your help, Bartoni

Site Moderator

hello, first of all please make sure, that you're in the right path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft - inside this main folder, as you call it, right-click & remove the Java Plug-in, Java Runtime Environment, Java Web Start subfolders...

then under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\ also delete the subfolder that starts with @java.com

New User

Hi Madperson. I'm sorry for being 'a bit slow on the uptake' but all this is new to me. Before I possibly make a mistake I need to double check with you based on what I see on my screen. To continue....

I am looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft in the left pane and if I right click on that all I see on the right is (default) and also sponsorsoffered. I need to left click on the JavaSoft folder to expand it and there I can see the Java Plug-In folder (containing a sub folder named 10.7.2), SO I delete this folder...yes?/No?

Below the Plug-In folder is another closed one named Java Web Start (containing a sub folder named 10.7.2), SO I delete this folder...yes?/No?

Below the Java Web Start folder is one name Prefs and clicking this shows (in the right pane) the word (Default). Do I delete this folder?

Nowhere in the JavaSoft folder family tree is there a folder named Java Runtime Environment!

I have located the @java.com folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins so I will delete that okay when I hear back from you about the other items.

I must thank you for your patience in helping me, much appreciated, Bartoni

Site Moderator

Java Plug-In - yes Java Web Start - yes Prefs - no

when Java Runtime Environment isn't present continue anyway. after also deleting the @java.com folder reinstall java (but be careful to uncheck the option to install the ask toolbar that oracle will offer during the procedure).

New User

Hi Madperson. Many thanks and now I will get on with it and see what happens. Thanks for warning me about the ASK toolbar. I've already encountered that and apart from the disable function in browsers it's better to delete it in the ADD/REMOVE Programs list.

I'll let you know my results tomorrow (already spent hours again on this issue today).

Again thanks, Bartoni

New User

Back again sooner than I thought Madperson. If all that has been described so far fails to remove the Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.110.21 plugin from the FF Add-ons list, should I manually uninstall the plugin?

(https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-issues-with-plugins-fix-problems#w_manually-uninst...)

I have already tracked the filename and path down:- Windows/System32/npdeploy Jave1.dll

It's shown as an application extension of 840 kb (almost the same size as an online update).

Whats your advice? Cheers, Bartoni