cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic updates not working

Highlighted
New Contributor

Automatic updates not working

Automatic updates have never worked on the PCs in my organization. We had to manually update from 13, to 13.0.1, to 14, to 14.0.1, to 15, to 15.0.1. Every time we have to go to "about firefox", at which point I can see it checking for and downloading the update, and then we can click "apply updates."

In the Firefox advanced options, under the update tab, we have had the following selected since 13 was released: -Automatically install updated -Use background service to install updates -automatically update search engines

This is happening on every machine in our system (about 80 of them), a mixture of XP machines and Windows 7 machines. We've allowed it through our firewall (McAfee SAAS), but it never automatically applies the update.

The update fails to apply automatically in both limited user and administrator accounts.

Since it is so widespread, I feel like there must be a simple reason while this is consistently failing on all our machines, but I'm finding virtually nothing else online suggesting others are having this problem.

Tags (2)
17 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Automatic updates not working

So do the updates try to apply but fail, and if so, do they give an error message, or does Firefox just not see the updates untli you go to about Firefox?

New Contributor

The updates are successful, but ONLY if we bother to go through to every single one of our machines to do it manually, as I described above. I want them to update automatically.

Site Moderator

Ok, so this is just the Automatic updater not finding the updates.

1 question, how long do you wait after a new Firefox is released before manually updating? Most Firefox updates are throttles at first, which means for the first few days after they are released the only way you can install the update is by going to About Firefox and checking manually. then after they are un-throttled Firefox will automatically install the update with no interaction from you.

Do you still have a machine that is on 14.0.1? There are some things we can check to see why updates aren't going through.

New Contributor

Before we get around to all the computers, it is anywhere from about a week to a month before we can apply all the updates.

I just updated this one from 14.0.1 to 15.0.1. I'd be willing to uninstall and then install an older version, if that is possible.

Site Moderator

I'm just going to run through a few things here first:

1. Just to Verify, in your Firefox options, under update you have "Automatically Install Updates" Checked, as well as "Use a Background Service", correct? 2. I'd be interested in learning more about your setup. Are your users (those who use the computers day to day" using limited accounts, or are they allowed to install software on their computers? and when you come by to install the updates, are you using the same accounts, or logging on using an Admin account? 3. What sort of security software do you have on your machines?

New Contributor

Ok, reinstalled 14.0.1. I can see where it says "Apply Update."

New Contributor

1. Yes 2. Almost everyone is a limited user, but for the couple people who are admins (me), we have the same problem. Sometimes we are logging in as administrator, sometimes we stay in the limited user account. 3. McAfee SAAS, including:

a. McAfee Browser protection service
  b. McAfee Firewall Protection Service
  c. McAfee Spyware and Virus Protection Service
  d. McAfee Client Proxy (but we JUST added this last one, and automatic updates were not working before this either)

Also, I have another computer that is still 14.0.1 I found that I can also use to troubleshoot

New Contributor

OH GEEZ. On the installation on my computer, the one I just uninstalled reinstalled to 14.01 is now working. I restarted firefox and now it is applying the update automatically.

So, I went back to the other machine, and logged in as limited user. Went to "About firefox" and watched it download update. Then I restarted a few times, but it never picked up the update.

So, I logged in as admin, and then went to About firefox again. Watched it re-download the update. Then I restarted, and right away it started installing the update.

So this seems to be a limited user problem. They can click apply update manually, but it won't automatically install for limited users.

any way to fix this?

Site Moderator

There are issues with updating Firefox on a non-admin user account. I'd say your best solution is to either let users install software (make them local admins) or just continue to update it using your account. There is some documentation on deploying Firefox from inside the enterprise, https://wiki.mozilla.org/DeploymentSmiley Very Happyeploying_Firefox which may be useful, but unfortunately there isn't a good solution to your problem.