cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After moving profile, not all addons work -- can't reinstall

Highlighted
New Contributor

After moving profile, not all addons work -- can't reinstall

I moved my FF profile from old computer running ubuntu to new one with opensuse. I used directions at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles

Seems that most eveything transferred correctly except two addons: Session Manager & Pocket. Removed them both with intention to reinstall. I am unable to do so and am presented with the same error for both:

... could not be installed becaue Firefox cannot modify the needed file

There is more detail in the Error console (also same for both):

Warning: WARN addons.xpi: Failed to install: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520005 (NS_ERROR_FILE_DESTINATION_NOT_DIR) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520005 (NS_ERROR_FILE_DESTINATION_NOT_DIR)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm :: AI_startInstall :: line 5046" data: no] Source File: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm Line: 5046

4 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: After moving profile, not all addons work -- can't reinstall

You get this error if an extension needs to be unpacked to work properly. Firefox normally stores an extension as the XPI file in the extensions folder and changes the file part of the name to the GUID or email as listed in the install.rdf file under the ID section.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, cor-el. However I'm unsure what I'm supposed to do with this information.

Some googling turned up that changing the value of extensions.alwaysUnpack to true in about:config may help but in my case it did not.

Site Moderator

Can't you (re)install the extensions in the normal way from their pages on the Add-ons website?

New Contributor

When attempting to install the normal way is exactly when I was getting the error messages I mentioned in the first post.

Anyway, I left out what I believe now is the critical detail: that the profile was moved from a partition that had to be rescued. It initially looked like all the data was saved but I've since discovered that a small percentage of the files on the disk were corrupted.

The corrupted files must have included those for Session Manager and Pocket as I've been able to reinstall them by manually "save link as" downloading the xpis and then renaming or unpacking the files. It still remains to be seen whether or not I can do a normal install with an addon I didn't already have.