cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After downloading FF 15 icon chgd to square box with green cross. FF works fine Why green cross

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

After downloading FF 15 icon chgd to square box with green cross. FF works fine Why green cross

Other FF icons in my system remain the same as before. Why the green cross. I liked the old icon better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: After downloading FF 15 icon chgd to square box with green cross. FF works fine Why green cross

Try to rebuild the Windows icon cache.

• Open the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+ESC)
  • In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
  • Open the file picker via "File > New Task (Run)" and click the Browse button.
  • Type or Paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local in the File name field (AppData is a hidden folder).
  • Select the IconCache.db file and use "Delete" in the right-click context menu to delete the file.
  • After the IconCache.db file has been deleted, start a new explorer.exe process via "File > New Task" to get the desktop and Taskbar back.

Verify in Windows Explorer that you can see the IconCache.db file before doing the above mentioned steps because the IconCache.db file may be a hidden file.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Show_hidden_files_and_folders

2 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: After downloading FF 15 icon chgd to square box with green cross. FF works fine Why green cross

Try to rebuild the Windows icon cache.

• Open the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+ESC)
  • In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
  • Open the file picker via "File > New Task (Run)" and click the Browse button.
  • Type or Paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local in the File name field (AppData is a hidden folder).
  • Select the IconCache.db file and use "Delete" in the right-click context menu to delete the file.
  • After the IconCache.db file has been deleted, start a new explorer.exe process via "File > New Task" to get the desktop and Taskbar back.

Verify in Windows Explorer that you can see the IconCache.db file before doing the above mentioned steps because the IconCache.db file may be a hidden file.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Show_hidden_files_and_folders

New Contributor

This solution did not work for me. Only the icons for FF on the desktop were affected. Others for FF in my files were not affected, so I merely right clicked the desktop icons, clicked Properties,selected Shortcut tab,clicked Change Icon, and selected the original FF icon, clicked OK. So, I'll call this one solved.