cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe flash player keeps crashing

Highlighted
New Contributor

Adobe flash player keeps crashing

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the current (as of 6/22/13) flash plugin for Firefox. I also have turned off hardware acceleration but my flash player keeps crashing on every youtube video I try.

Crash reports With Hardware Acceleration: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/929ae2cc-b007-4dee-900f-a66fc2130623

Without: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/ca2d2983-77b4-4ccf-a271-9e48c2130623

Also Firefox just stopped responding when I allowed the troubleshooter, but it did give information after restoring my previous session.

22 REPLIES
Grand Master Contributor

Re: Adobe flash player keeps crashing

Hello,

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Thank you.

New Contributor

This not fix my problem. All youtube videos don't load and just stay as a black or white screen.

Site Moderator

You can check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:

• disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
  • disable protected mode in the Flash plugin (Flash 11.3+ on Windows Vista and later)
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
New Contributor

Disabling the protected mode seemed to fix it. I already did the hardware acceleration with no avail.

Disabling protections just seems like a bad move but what can you do when it doesn't work as intended.

New Contributor

Mozilla have become so arrogant that they choose to ignore this ongoing issue, and, as always pass the buck. Flash is simply NOT compatible with Freezefox.

New Contributor

I just noticed this problem on 2 computers. System Restore fixed it up initially on both. HINT: if software isn't working for you, and if it's recent, it's probably something you've done or changed. GO BACK!!! On one computer I painstakingly reloaded everything since the restore point; right up to Java runtime 64-bit, and Nightly (Firefox 64-bit). Then the problem recurred. Backstepped to standard Firefox (32-bit) and no problems. On the other, I thought I was fine - the only thing I missed out on was a Windows update - definitions for Windows Defender. As I use McAfee and Malwarebytes, figured I didn't need this. Then another daily update appeared from Nightly and Flash Player stopped again. So back to Firefox on this machine as well - no problems. The last couple of updates for Nightly seem to have issues.

New Contributor

I've also had this issue for months and months. Flashplayer plugin crashes hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times a day. I am not looking at videos, mostly facebook and cloud business software. Keeping java, flash and firefox up to date seems to make no difference. Rebooting makes no difference. Shutting down FF and restarting helps for a bit, then the crashes start all over again. All plugins are up to date. I can't deactivate flash because my cloud business software requires it. This is very frustrating.

Site Moderator

If FlashPlayer is vital to you consider using Google Chrome instead of Firefox for business use. Google Chrome has an integrated FlashPlayer.

If you wish to solve your own problem on Firefox it is probably best to start a new thread.

Read the links on protected mode {applicable to Windows >XP)
and on hardware acceleration.
Please remember Flash Player is third party, proprietry software.

I doubt this thread will get a proper solution so meanwhile I am marking this as the solution. For those continuing with Flash Player on Firefox scroll to see also cor-els & Wakka...s post in this short thread. NOTE disabling protected mode has been reported to work in this thread.

>18kHits Aug

commented out special link and unmarked as the solution. aw

New Contributor

Alright i got this problem too and i manage to make it work again by doing thisSmiley SadPlease Make sure you have a realplayer)

1:go to firefox menu->options->options->applications

2: you notice there are alot of audio and video related stuffs (when i opened mine all was opening with VLC(VIDEOLAN PLAYER))

3:what i did was change all possible audio and video related stuffs: at the action section try setting them to realplayer(default)

4:restart firefox

5:i dont know why this fix my problem but i wish it could fix yours too xD Smiley Happyall audio and video runs good already