cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe flash player does not work in ff browser. Works in IE, operating Win 7, Firefox 4, Flash 11 . . ?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Adobe flash player does not work in ff browser. Works in IE, operating Win 7, Firefox 4, Flash 11 . . ?

I recently upgraded to ff beta and upgraded my adobe flash player and can no longer view flash in browser. Have tried every combination of installing/uninstalling. Everything is running on 64 bit - most up-to-date downloads. What am I missing?

When I open IE, flash works - ruling out problems with flash, and graphics card. So ff, you're on.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Adobe flash player does not work in ff browser. Works in IE, operating Win 7, Firefox 4, Flash 11 . . ?

So I figured out that one of my extensions was causing the problem. I've disabled it and now everything works. Thanks for the help with this extremely frustrating issue.

20 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Adobe flash player does not work in ff browser. Works in IE, operating Win 7, Firefox 4, Flash 11 . . ?

Correction: ff 13 and I have tried both the IE and non-IE flash downloads from Adobe. Super frustrating.

Shooting Star Contributor

There are 2 versions of Adobe Flash:

• an ActiveX version for IE only
  • a Plugin version for most other browsers including Firefox
    • IMPORTANT: Firefox requires the 32-bit version of Flash even if installed on a 64-bit OS -- See NOTE: below
  • On a Windows system, you should always update both individually.

If you do not see, in Add-ons > Plugins > "Shockwave Flash (version)" in Firefox, then you do not have the 32-bit Plugin version of Flash installed for Firefox. If "Shockwave Flash" is there and is disabled, click the "Enable" button.

Check your Plugins often --> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

• only the most popular/used Plugins are known by this page
  • page will detect only installed, enabled Plugins

Install or update Adobe Flash

1. Using Firefox, go to the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop so you can find it later. Un-check any items on that page that you do not want to download (i.e., "McAfee Security Scan Plus":
  2. When the download is finished, close Firefox (File > Exit OR Firefox button > Exit)
  3. Click or double-click on the file you just saved to your desktop
    • In the installation window that appears, click the box to the left of "I have read and...." to place a check mark in the box
    • The "Install" button in the lower right corner will now be highlighted, click it.
    • The installation is quick.
  4. Start Firefox and test your installation here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
  5. To update/install the ActiveX version for IE only, repeat the process, but use IE to go to the above website.

NOTE: Some users of 64-bit systems have found it necessary to download, Save and install (with Firefox closed) the 32-bit Plugin for Firefox manually from the following (4th link labeled "32 bit Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)"):

If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.

New Contributor

So I installed and ran the 32-bit version of flash and still I get a blank. I have tried disabling graphics acceleration (which I've read may help). Shockwave flash v. 11.2.202.235 is enabled in my plugins. I have no interest in using IE so I'd like to get ff to work in ff. Any other ideas?

New Contributor

New Contributor

No still no success with the reset.

New Contributor

Last week I installed the FF update and a few days later, the new Flash update. I immediately started having audio 'stuttering' problems when listening to an audio feed, (Minimized in a separate window or not), and simultaneously scrolling on another web page or even just moving the cursor around. (Remember Max Headroom? That's what everything sounded like.)

I tried everything FF said to do to solve Flash problems all the way up to resetting FF. I uninstalled and re-installed the new Flash. No good.

Out of desperation, I switched back to the old Flash 10. and that solved the problem!

However, now I'm stuck with an outdated version of Flash.

So the problem seems to be with Flash, not FF.

Site Moderator

Make sure you have Windows Service Pack 1 installed. Also, if that does not work, try disabling protected mode in Flash, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468493#4468493

New Contributor

Whoops - Sorry, I'm running XP not 7. I'll post a new question.

New Contributor

Disabled protected mode, tried older version of flash, tried 32-bit plugin, still nothing. Running year old ASUS laptop with extended display onto new ASUS monitor. More help needed.