cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Flash crashes, continually causes Firefox 13.0.1 to crash

Highlighted
New User

Adobe Flash crashes, continually causes Firefox 13.0.1 to crash

Firefox continually crashes (approx. 6-8 times a day or more) due to Adobe Flash player crashing.

I'm running Firefox 13.0.1 and Adobe Flash 11.3.300.262

I noticed that since the second-to-last update of Flash Firefox has been crashing a lot. Before that Firefox crashed 'only' once a day or so.

Over the past few months I've read just about every thread related to Flash & Firefox and I'm not about to spend hours troubleshooting stuff, trying to disable hardware acceleration, etc, etc. I've done that before when the Flash-crash issue started a couple of months ago. (Also, Firefox is sometimes sending you automated crash reports, so you should have that data.) I would expect Firefox to simply "work" reasonably well, and as of the past couple of months or so, it hasn't.

W.T.F, Mozilla? I've used your browsers (Netscape) since the early 90s and have been quite happy - until recently, that is. As of now I'm having to go back to using Internet Explorer.

I sincerely hope Mozilla can finally resolve this issue as I still believe Firefox could be a great browser if it didn't "fight" with Flash all the time.

23 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Adobe Flash crashes, continually causes Firefox 13.0.1 to crash

Unfortunately these crashes are more a result of a poorly tested Flash player plugin than Firefox issues.Smiley Sad

The crash ID that you gave points to a bug, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=763237 (please don't comment in bug reports) where the issue is being tracked and Adobe Developers are working on a fix. Hopefully, a fix will be released in a few days that corrects the rest of these crash issues.

New User

"Unfortunately these crashes are more a result of a poorly tested Flash player plugin than Firefox issues.Smiley Sad "

For months I've heard it being blamed on Adobe quite a lot. Whilst I suspect their software isn't "perfect", if it is "Adobe's fault" then why is my Internet Explorer *not* crashing?

Site Moderator

Internet Explorer uses a totally separate version of Flash (ActiveX) than Firefox uses. Chrome also has a different version than Firefox. With each browser having their own version of Flash that adobe develops, there is plenty of room for bugs to appear in one and not the other.

New User

I used flash player 10.3 for IE and above for firefox, it worked but the problems is that every time I turn off the automatic update but reactive flash me this one and I downloaded the recent version of Flash 11.3 .300.262, what to do?

New User

Ok, so I should go to the Adobe forums and ask them to fix their bug, or are Adobe developers simply not communicating with Mozilla developers and that course of action might not help?

If there's faulty communication between development teams then maybe Mozilla should buy out that department of Adobe (which makes the Flash for Firefox,) or perhaps Adobe should buy out Firefox(?) It certainly would do a lot to make Firefox reliable once more.

Based on the track record, as far as I can see, other than developers actually talking to each other and fixing things I think we're stuck with something that has become a dud. The easiest solution for me, and probably many others, right now is simply to switch browsers. In my case that's going back to IE.

I hope something happens since, other than this highly annoying bug, I have enjoyed Firefox.

New User

I have the same problem. I did not have it with FF 12.x.

How to revert back to FF 12?

Site Moderator

Your best bet is to downgrade to Flash 11.2 Downgrade Flash. Downgrading to Firefox 12 doesn't fix all Flash issues, so downgrading Flash is the best alternative right now.

Site Moderator

New User

Thanks for your replies.

I reinstalled the latest Flash version 11.3.300.262 when prompted upon viewing a YouTube video and now, I can see the YouTube player again.

I still see a blank (white) Vimeo area (not previously mentioned) from that website. The video player tries to load, but then disappears.

I am still getting a js browser error on each of my open windows simultaneously many times per day (not previously mentioned).

btw - I disabled the Real Player plugin files (3) and there was no change with Vimeo - it still didn't work, so I re-enabled it again.

Hopefully, these issues will be resolved soon as I am now starting to use Chrome more frequently when that was not the plan. Chrome seems to be decent, though.

Thanks.