Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addblock plus won't download--says it can't modify a file

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Addblock plus won't download--says it can't modify a file

I previously had Adblock Plus installed, but it stopped working several versions of Firefox (for mac) ago. The add-ons manager/extensions says I have version 2.3.2 and it is disabled. When I tried to add the latest version from the get addons page, I first get a dialog asking if I want to install the file; when I select "install now", I get a box saying that "Adblock plus could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the necessary file" I also downloaded and installed AnonymoX, which appeared to install successfully, but I find no icons or controls, no way to start it up, control its function, or verify that it is in fact installed/working. There is no icon window at the bottom of my Firefox window (or anywhere else that I can find).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: Addblock plus won't download--says it can't modify a file

Hello,

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information.
Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Thank you.

4 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Hello,

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information.
Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Thank you.

Site Moderator

Try to delete the ABP file (.xpi) or folder in the extensions folder in the Firefox profile folder.

Look for a name like this:

{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

New Contributor

i found the profile file, but couldn't find any .xpi file or folder in it.

New Contributor

Resetting Firefox fixed both my problems. Thanks for the help to both respondents.