cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i disable the 'top sites' cleaning history does not remove this and it is confusing and a risk to privacy

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

how can i disable the 'top sites' cleaning history does not remove this and it is confusing and a risk to privacy

How can i disable the 'top sites' cleaning history does not remove this and it is confusing and a risk to privacy. It also serves no purpose as sites i want to keep are bookmarked Is there an alternatively an addon for this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor

Re: how can i disable the 'top sites' cleaning history does not remove this and it is confusing and a risk to privacy

Hi Wayne_a,

If you are concerened about your privacy you can turn this feature off:

Turn new Tab Page off

16 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: how can i disable the 'top sites' cleaning history does not remove this and it is confusing and a risk to privacy

Hi Wayne_a,

If you are concerened about your privacy you can turn this feature off:

Turn new Tab Page off

New Contributor

can you confirm that this solution is suipposed to work for ANDROID? all the screenshots suggest a tablet or desktop or something, and when i enter browser.newtab.url in the search bar nothing happens.

Site Moderator

Those steps will not work on Android.

However clear private data should remove any history. Though bookmarks are not removed and will be used to populate the home screen. If you want to fully reset Firefox use the Android settings.

• From the Android home screen press the menu button
  • Press settings
  • Select applications
  • Find Firefox and select it
  • Press the clear data button
New Contributor

aaaaaagh.

I followed this instruction and it wiped out all my bookmarks which I have to re-enter from scratch including another desktop sync.

Using the browser still populates this 'top sites' feature which I dont want and don't need - and how to disable this is the point of this query ( I see there have bene other complaints about this BTW) Can you check with the techs whether 1) this cannot be removed/disabled or not 2) if not, will this be fixed in a future release (timelines?)

Site Moderator

There is no way to disable the top sites at this time. I did say that the steps above would fully reset Firefox.

New Contributor

There is a way to delete individual entries in "Top Sites".

Tap and hold on the site name in the list. A popup should appear showing, OPEN IN NEW TAB, SHARE, REMOVE, ADD TO HOME SCREEN

The REMOVE option will delete the site from the list.

New Contributor

Hi there - nope, this doesnt work either. the options available when I tap and hol are only OPEN IN NEW TAB, SHARE, ADD TO HOME SCREEN

wayne

New Contributor

Hi Wayne, I get the extra REMOVE option on my Top Sites, except for a few at the bottom of the list that only have the three options you state.

These have a gold star next to them because they are also in Bookmarks. If I delete them from BOOKMARKS, they also disappear from Top Sites.

Sites listed in HISTORY also appear in TOP SITES with a gold star but these can be removed.

Mozant

New Contributor

hi there - nope, this doesnt work, irrspectvie whether a top site is in bookmarks I cant remove it from Top Sites. I have lvoed firefox since it came out but I cant beleive somethign so awful got through. I see there have been quite a few threads about this.... What shall I try now?

wayne