cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Master Password on Firefox for Android

Mozilla Support Contributor

This article was incorrectly migrated as a support forum post and will no longer be maintained. For the current content, please see the following article:

Firefox can save usernames and passwords that you use to access online services, such as banking and email. In order to prevent someone else from accessing your accounts if they have your device, you can set a master password. This article explains how to use a master password.

master_password0-ics

How does the master password work?

After you have defined a master password, you will be prompted to enter it when Firefox needs to access your stored passwords. This will "unlock" the usernames and passwords that you've saved and Firefox will automatically fill them in for you as you browse from website to website. When you are done using the web, you can quit Firefox to "lock up" your usernames and passwords.

Note: The Android system on your device may quit Firefox automatically to free up resources when you are using another app. If that happens, you'll be asked to enter your master password again when you switch back to Firefox.

How do I set up a master password?

By default, Firefox doesn't use a master password to protect your saved usernames and passwords. To set one up:

1. Tap the Menu button (either below the screen on some devices or at the top-right corner of the browser) and then Settings (you may need to tap More first) .
  2. Tap the Use master password check box.
    master_passwords-ics
  3. Type a password into the entry fields.
    Tip: Remember to make your password something that is easy for you to remember, but difficult for others to guess. See Create secure passwords to keep your identity safe to learn how.
  4. To set the master password, tap OK.
    master_password2-ics
  1. Tap the Menu button (either below the screen on some devices or at the top-right corner of the browser) and then Settings (you may need to tap More first) .
  2. Then tap Privacy and choose Use master password.
    master_passwords-ics
  3. Type a password into the entry fields.
    Tip: Remember to make your password something that is easy for you to remember, but difficult for others to guess. See Create secure passwords to keep your identity safe to learn how.
  4. To set the master password, tap OK.
    master_password2-ics
When Master Password is enabled, passwords will stop syncing to Firefox for Android.

How do I remove a master password?

If you want to stop using a master password, you can easily remove it:

2. Tap the Use master password check box.
  3. Type your master password into the entry field.
  4. Tap OK to remove the Master Password.
  2. Then tap Privacy.
  3. Tap the Use master password check box.
  4. Type your master password into the entry field.
  5. Tap OK to remove the Master Password.
When Master Password is disabled, passwords will begin syncing again.

What can I do if I forget my master password?

If you've forgotten your master password, you'll have to reset it:

Warning: Resetting your master password will remove all of your saved usernames and passwords.
  1. Delete Firefox for Android data from Android Settings.
  2. The master password will be deleted and you'll be able to reset it.
9 REPLIES
New User

Re: Using Master Password on Firefox for Android

The information in the "What can I do if I forget my master password?" section is wrong; loading XUL documents is not supported on Firefox for Android and doesn't work properly. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=862732#c2 for an alternate way to reset the master password.

Site Administrator

hi kats:

I put this info into the needs changes!

Folks: this is an easy edit and would be an easy first edit I think, anybody up for it? (use the info here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=862732#c2 )

New User

Awesome, thanks! (Also please let me know if I'm using the wrong process for this, I've never dealt with changes to the KB articles before..)

I should update the Italian article, but...

What can I do if I forget my master password?

1. Delete Firefox for Android data from the Google Settings application.

Can someone better clarify this step and, above all, the complete path?

Why Google Settings application?

I don't understand this step and I believe that it's not clear for users too.

I have an idea about the procedure, but I'm not sure if it's the correct one...

Thanks in advance

Site Administrator

Michele Rodaro said

I should update the Italian article, but...
Why Google Settings application?

Hi Michele:

Happy Holidays!

The Google Settings app is used to clear app data. (Open the Google Settings app | tap Apps | tap Firefox | Tap Clear Data)

That's the Android way (to clear an app's settings using the Google Settings app) and also as far as I know there's no other way to clear the master password on Firefox for Android. If your phone is jailbroken (which is less than 1% of users), you can remove the file with the master password like on desktop. However since this is 1% of users I don't think we should document this. If I had my way i'd delete the whole master password feature :-) and replace it with something more usable and more secure.

In general, I don't recommend the Master Password on Firefox desktop, Thunderbird or Firefox for Android. It doesn't add much security. Much better to use the Android lock screen or something else that's built-in to the operating system.

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year!

...Roland

also should we mention with details that how to clear data of a application including screenshot?

This article says: When Master Password is enabled, passwords will stop syncing to Firefox for Android.

The Firefox Sync upgrade - Frequently Asked Questions article says: There was a limitation in previous versions of Firefox that prevented Sync from working when a master password was enabled, but this has since been resolved. Sync is fully compatible with the master password feature in the latest version of Firefox.

Should we remove that section from this article? Can someone check?

New User

If you are root you can delete the the key.db file.

Go with any filemanager to /data/data/org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid/files/mozilla/yourprofile.default/

and delete key4db

Maybe you have to replace org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid with something else depending wich version of Firefox you are using.

New User

If you are root you can delete the key4.db file in order to reset your forgotten masterpassword. This method will delete the password but keep your bookmarks, settings and extensions.

Use your favorite filemanager tu go to /data/data/org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid/files/mozilla/yourprofile.default/

and delete the key4.db file.

Note: org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid may vary depending which build you are using.

yourprofile.default is a random encrypted name like qawdfr.default