Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox automatically appends .com if no domain is given

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox automatically appends .com if no domain is given

On the address bar, when I just type a word, it searches for the word in Google as expected. Let's say I have a local domain, accessible in vpn, say, 'mysite' takes me to 10.10.x.x.

On desktop, when I type, 'mysite', it takes me to the site. On mobile, it searches for the word 'mysite'. I would be okay with this though. But when I try 'http://mysite', it converts it to 'http://mysite.com' which is not my site and I do not intend to visit.

Would someone help me turning this feature off or some work around?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox automatically appends .com if no domain is given

hello _senthilkumar, it should be possible to change that. enter about:config into the location bar & search for the preference named browser.fixup.alternate.enabled (it should be enough to just enter 'fix' into the search bar). toggle the value of this preference to false.

3 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello _senthilkumar, it should be possible to change that. enter about:config into the location bar & search for the preference named browser.fixup.alternate.enabled (it should be enough to just enter 'fix' into the search bar). toggle the value of this preference to false.

New Contributor

Hello phillip! Thanks for the tip! Works like a charm!

Thanks!

New Contributor

Hi, I've the same problem but not solved by your solution... It seem to be a DNS résolution problem (windows 2003 server AD)... I test an Android DNS resolution tool with : - mysite.mydomain.pri : OK @IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - mysite : KO (SERVFAIL)

If I do an nslookup on my windows PC : - mysite : OK return myserver.mydomain @IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Any idea...