cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot after OTA v1.1 upgrade (ZTE Open Spain)

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Can't boot after OTA v1.1 upgrade (ZTE Open Spain)

Hello,

I got my ZTE Open (Spain) pretty much working very well with the 1.0.1 official upgrade from ZTE (for Spain models). Then today I got a new system upgrade available (30Mb+) and proceed to download the upgrade.

After a while, the phone rebooted and kept in the loading screen rebooting again and again. I did tried soft reset, factory reset and didn't work out.

Then, as I found the update was stored in the SD card (updates/fota/update.zip), I did tried to apply it again but got "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip". Here is my recovery log: http://dpaste.com/1420406/

I tried also downgrading to v1.0.1 but I can't because it complains is not v1.0.0 system.

I hope anybody can point me out a solution, I live in south america and bought this phone from Spain , so having to return it will not be easy nor quick.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Can't boot after OTA v1.1 upgrade (ZTE Open Spain)

I have good news!

Today I noticed in the ZTE website, even though the System OS version didn't change, the date for the upgrade image was just few days ago (2013-11-08).

So, I downloaded the image, proceeded with the upgrade and EVERYTHING WORKED RIGHT!

Sorry the caps, I'm so excited Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your help, especially Mozilla staff.

Download page for ZTE Open Spain: http://www.ztedevices.com/support/smart_phone/176dd5a1-9d70-40a5-80ce-baa1c4ca6173.html?type=softwar...

Here is the country selector: http://www.ztedevices.com/support/selectproduct.html?type=software

30 REPLIES
Expert User

Hi Rolando1,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your ZTE Firefox OS device from Spain after downloading an Over The Air (OTA) update. I understand your frustration, and hope that we will be able to find a quick solution.

Thank you so much for your detailed information and the recovery logs. I am forwarding this issue to our helpdesk and engineering departments.

Would you please, also provide some additional information that may be helpful for our engineers?

• Can you please describe how the update process went? Did you see an installation bar before the device fail? Did it complete the installation before the device fail?
  • Do you remember anything unusual about the battery status when installing the update? Was it near empty, full, plugged in to the outlet?
  • Can you please describe the steps that you are using to attempt downgrading your ZTE Firefox OS device?

Thank you for your assistance in helping us find a solution to this problem. We look forward to hearing back from you.

- Ralph

New User

> Can you please describe how the update process went? Did you see an installation bar before the device fail? Did it complete the installation before the device fail?

Sadly, I left the phone unattended as it was a relatively large download. I just noticed the phone when it went off and started again. At this point the phone reached the sitting fox loading screen and kept rebooting again and again.

After I tried installing the downloaded update.zip (in /sdcard/updates/fota/), when the phone starts reaches the sitting fox loading screen and it keeps there indefinitely.

> Do you remember anything unusual about the battery status when installing the update? Was it near empty, full, plugged in to the outlet?

I plugged the usb charger, then started to download the update.

> Can you please describe the steps that you are using to attempt downgrading your ZTE Firefox OS device?

As I already had the update.zip in the /sdcard/ downloaded from http://www.ztedevices.com/support/smart_phone/176dd5a1-9d70-40a5-80ce-baa1c4ca6173.html?type=softwar... I boot into the recovery screen and select the option to install the update from external device and choose the update.zip in the root of the sdcard.

The error is like: assert ro.build.display.id == ...

Expert User

Hi Rolando1,

Thank you for your continued patience and for providing all these details. This issue has already been escalated and we are looking into it.

In the meantime - I imagine that you may have already tried this, but if not, can you try to Wipe cache partition and Wipe data/factory reset while in the recovery mode screen?

Please be aware that these steps will delete all the settings stored in your phone. Your SD card will remain intact.

If you decide to try these steps, please let us know what were the results. We hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,

- Ralph

New User

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did tried to wipe cache/data many times without any change in my issue.

I had enabled the remote debugging option before updating but it seems now it is disabled. Do you know if it's possible to enable the remote debugging somehow in this scenario?

Expert User

Hi Rolando1,

I am not certain if it is possible to enable remote debugging in this scenario, but I will try to find this out for you. I have filed bugs for this issue and we are still looking into it.

In the meantime, I am curious to know what happens if you try to go into Fastboot mode. Can you please try the following instructions from our QA:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/QA/Tips_And_Tricks#Hardware_Cheat_codes
FYI, Inari refers to the ZTE Open.
Doing the vol down+up + power should put you in fastboot mode. This means that the "fastboot" should be able to see the device. ie, by running the command:
fastboot devices
If this works, you may be able to flash partition images onto the phone using fastboot.

Thank you for your help!

- Ralph

New User

I tried to boot in fastboot mode, only the red light turned on and no screen signal (no vibration too). I plugged the usb cable and ran 'fastboot devices', no output. The device didn't respond to the power button so I had to remove the battery.

New User

New User

Hello,

I have a similar problem on a "ZTE open" from Movistar spanish operator.

After downloading the OTA 1.1, my phone succeeded in rebooting BUT it can't access anymore to the memory SD card as if it wasn't there.

SO THEN, I had a bad idea : I reseted my phone to factory from the special menu (holding power+up).

SINCE this time, it can't reboot and stays with the sitting fox blue screen.

After that, I tried to use the OTA update.zip in SD Card but I've obtained "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip" (status 0).

If i used the stock rom "Spain OPEN SD card upgrading instruction & software package(TME)-216640B0996OPEN_FFOS_V1.0.0B04_TME" from ZTE website, I have "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip" (status 7).

My phone is now useless thanks to zte/movistar/firefoxOs update. I start regreting my choice in trusting in this new OS mobile with ZTE as manufacturer. :-(

I will undergo very complicated processes, wich are not easy for common people, to restore it (if it's possible!) OR it will go to trash..........

I hope a solution quickly from anyone.

Regards,

EDIT : the md5 check fails with : Finding file_list package... Opening file_list package... Verifying file_list package... E:failed to open /system/etc/verify.zip (No such file or directory) E:signature verification failed

New User

I don’t know how to begin this message, I’m tired, pissed of and angry because of all the problems I have now for a damned update. And no one seems to care about my/our problem.

I asked help directly from ZTE and the only answer I got was :

Dear Valued ZTE Customer Thank you for contacting ZTE. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Please contact the local dealer where you purchased the device to or network operator to know the after sales policy so that they can assist you to fix this issue. Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Best Regards

I don’t know what to do. I’m not in Spain anymore, it’s not possible for me to go in a shop for the next months. My local dealer is 1500km away. I don’t even know if Movistar took my problem seriously but, whatever, it’s a shame. I don’t know if I have to ask to ZTE, Mozilla or Movistar to be heard. First solution is not an option anymore. I bought my phone only 2 months ago and now is bricked: its only destination is the trash.

Actually I can only discourage you to buy the combo ZTE/Movistar/FOs phone. I don’t even know where the trouble is because I NEVER HAD A PROPER ANSWER so how can I be positive about FirefoxOs experience now ????