cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template:optionspreferences

First Time Visitor

Template:optionspreferences

This template was incorrectly migrated to the support forum and will no longer be maintained. For the current content, please see the following:

/t5/Firefox/Template-optionspreferences/ta-p/1378159

Click the menu button New Fx Menu and choose Options.Preferences.

13 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: Template:optionspreferences

Recent revisions of both the optionspreferences and CloseOptionsPreferences templates show additions of end points (stops). There are two issues that come up.

1) Is it wise to add the end point? I assume leaving them out was done intentionally in order to fill up templates by additional words, as this is currently done in at least 1 article (Change what Firefox does when you click on or download a file).

2) I’m not sure how it works out for other locales if the stop is still left outside these templates, but for Dutch, there’s the unsolved display issue of an additional space that gets inserted between the template’s last character and an additional stop that is added rightafter the template. In other words, ‘[[closeOptionsPreferences]].’ would look like ‘…to close the Options window .’ Some months ago this has been brought up in #sumodev (James will probably recall), but I’m not really sure whether or not en-US suffers from it as well (probably not). Is anyone aware of this or able to test it, and has there already been filed a bug for this issue?

(And of course, why weren’t these revisions ready for l10n yet? ;) )

Site Moderator

The revisions to add an end point in this template and in the CloseOptionsPreferences template were self-approved by scoobidiver and he hasn't been around lately. I don't see why those revisions shouldn't be reversed if no good reason is given for including the end point.

I made a revision to both templates to remove the end point and referred back to this discussion. Both revisions are pending review, in case there are any objections.

Is it correct to put a dot in the end of the line ?

In the Check your proxy settings we use the Template and the dot seems one line down the Template....alone !

If we put the dot in the end of Template like :

At the top..............then select Options. < dot, maybe the dot stay in the end of the line and not a line down ? ?

Or i see this only in my pc ?

New User

i dont think so?

Back in January 2012, the issue of additional spaces and line feeds when including templates showed up, resulting in both optionspreferences and closeOptionsPreferences templates to look a bit unpleasant when followed by end stops or included within a line. See steps 1 and 6 in the Enable SSL to fix the Firefox cannot connect securely error message article's procy section for an example of both issues respectively at this time.

Bug 720228 and a dupe were filed. and its WFM outcome and sort of workaround for them would be to include the stops in the templates, as apparently this issue cannot be prevented. Since then and miraculously no real action has been taken to fix it properly for all articles, or editors may do this occasionally or as they please, sometimes getting confused.

Shouldn’t the current decision be to include the end stops in the templates for proper global markup and either ignite some article revisions for stop removals (probably around 60 articles) or at least include such action when doing new edits from now on?

If local copies don’t lie, only the Change what Firefox does when you click on or download a file article (step 5) and even the no longer maintained syncsetup template (step 1) include these templates in a line. Hence there would be only one line to fix before including stops in the template, some articles would temporarily suffer double stops separated by a space before they are stripped.

Note that’s for Firefox articles only. Thunderbird has its own optionspreference template that for some treason does not suffer an extra line feed, but there is this space issue. Some articles like Configuring Certificates include the template in a line. This would be about 6 articles to edit.

Site Moderator

I removed "[Done]" from the thread title.

I don't have an opinion either way so hopefully Joni will see this and decide if revisions are needed.

Site Administrator

I haven't looked at the complete list, but if we only have a handful of articles that use the template as part of a sentence, I'd be fine with adding a period to the template itself and revising the articles as needed.

We can also consider having two separate templates (one with a period and one without).

Tonnes, do you already have a list of articles that need revisions? If not, I can get one ready in a few days. We should also post that list to the forums so others can help us with the revisions and review.

Indeed, it’s just 1 or 2 that use it in a sentence, they’re not the real problem.

For the others, local copies show it’s only 22 articles containing "optionspreferences]]." here (so either optionspreferences or closeOptionsPreferences - the 60 above was including old or duplicate versions and some subfolder, sorry). I'm not entirely sure if these 22 cover it though, as they're only RFL version copies and I might have missed a few saving or finding them. Please let me know if you want to see that list or if I should post it here. Maybe it's best if you could get one ready anyway?

Using separate templates would be an option if needed for being used in a sentence, providing anyone should be aware of the additional space and hence it'd never be used if followed by a period, comma or other character. As it's currently only one or 2 cases, I doubt if there is a real need for it though, but that's not up to me. :)

Joni, any news on this?

For the record: the recent rev 84898 for the Manage my default search engines on Firefox for Android article causes new occurrences of sentences including a space before the end stops (steps 2 - line 7 and 28), like was the case in some other lines including another template in that same article (steps 1 - lines 6 and 27), as well as for images (line 24).

So in short: in order to avoid the issue and uglifying the KB, templates should never be used at the end of a line - which is valid for any template instead of just the 2 mentioned above - , and there is nothing that can be done to prevent it except from not using templates in such cases.