cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display the Firefox button menu instead of the menu toolbar

Support Forum Moderator

This article was incorrectly migrated as a support forum post. For the correct version, see this article:

The Firefox button isn't available on Mac, because the Menu Bar is part of the Mac operating system.

The orange Firefox button (it is brown on Ubuntu) is a new feature added in Firefox 4 to replace the Menu Bar. It takes the most common functions and puts them in one menu. When you maximize the Firefox window, your tabs will appear beside the Firefox button, leaving more room for everything else. This article describes how to enable it if you don't see it.
Orange Firefox Button - Win1

Orange Firefox Button - Win2

Note: This applies to the latest Firefox version which can be downloaded from mozilla.org/firefox.

Why don't I see it?

To make Firefox look like other Windows XP programs, the Menu Bar is displayed instead of the Firefox button, while, on Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Firefox button is displayed by default.To make Firefox look like other Linux applications, the Menu Bar is displayed instead of the Firefox button.

How to get it?

Simple! Just turn off the Menu Bar! Here's how:

• Right-click on an empty section of the Tab Strip and uncheck Menu Bar in the pop-up menu.

Orange Firefox Button - Win3

I've tried it and I want to go back

If you prefer the Menu Bar, just turn the Menu Bar back on.

• Right-click on an empty section of the Tab Strip and check Menu Bar in the pop-up menu.
If you don't have a mouse, press the Alt key and V simultaneously, then T, then M.
Orange Firefox Button - Win4

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: Display the Firefox button menu instead of the menu toolbar

There are revisions pending for this. I don't think the article needs to address users of Win 7 or Vista - it can focus on Win XP. Also, the screenshots should just be for Windows XP.

For Linux if you use the default theme on Ubuntu the Firefox button is brown until you mouse over it. Maybe we can write a {for linux} sentence in the intro that says parenthetically that it's brown in Linux.

Screenshots have now a closer Windows XP look (I don't want to patch my Windows 7 to have the Luna theme) and the button color is per OS.

I think the article title should be "How do I get the Firefox Button?" as it is not orange on Linux.

It needs review.

Senior User

I've approved the first and latest revisions of this new article.

Site Moderator

Australis is already out, now on the Beta channel.

Does an addon restore the Firefox button ?
If it does as I assume then presumably we should document that ?

How is XP and Linux affected ? I do use Linux and see the new Australis hotdog style button. I have not yet even tried any addons, and do not currently have access to an XP machine I can use Firefox on.

Site Moderator

John99 said

Australis is already out, now on the Beta channel. Does an addon restore the Firefox button ?
If it does as I assume then presumably we should document that ? How is XP and Linux affected ? I do use Linux and see the new Australis hotdog style button. I have not yet even tried any addons, and do not currently have access to an XP machine I can use Firefox on.

I would ask about this in the Australis (Fx 29) Updates thread in the L10n forum:

Site Moderator

Thanks for the replies Xhros & Alice. I note we have already in fact documented the use of the addon.

I still have not yet tried the addon myself but it does seem fairly comprehensive looking at the addon page and their help site hosted on mozillazine. Clearly it does offer options for something similar to the Firefoxbutton