Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resize search bar and resize address bar individually in Firefox 4 beta

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

resize search bar and resize address bar individually in Firefox 4 beta

Address bar and search bar are too large in Firefox 4.12 Beta. I can make one of them smaller but it makes the other one larger to refill the space. Any way to make them both smaller so I can acquire a little more real estate to add one or two more icons? I'm already using "small icons" in the "customize" section. Also, can I move the "home" icon to the left of the address bar since I use it regularly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: resize search bar and resize address bar individually in Firefox 4 beta

Just drop the buttons you need in between the address bar and the search bar and they'd re-size themselves to fit the icons. How to customize the toolbar (Adding, removing, and rearranging items)

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Just drop the buttons you need in between the address bar and the search bar and they'd re-size themselves to fit the icons. How to customize the toolbar (Adding, removing, and rearranging items)

Site Moderator

Or just carry on adding other icons and leave the space between the two as it is, that allows you to continue to enlarge one at the expense of the other, which may be useful. Also note that you probably have spare space on the Menu bar, you could add more icons there. You can even add another additional toolbar.

New Contributor

Many thanks Alex. I previously tried this without leaving the "customize toolbar" option window of toolbar open. I couldn't move any of the buttons. Then, I left the window open and it worked. I'll have to make a note to myself that the "customize" window must be open to move the buttons. I prefer all the buttons on one side or the other instead of all over the bar and your asssitance is appreciated.

New Contributor

Man, that was quick. Thanks to you too. Now I have 2 different solutions to adding buttons to the toolbar. I work with so many apps sometimes, I need to make a text file or document for shortcuts in using some of them. It's been a while since I customized Firefox. That is, until the stable 4.0 Beta 121 came out and I had the chutzpa to try it.

Site Moderator

'adding buttons to the toolbar. I work with so many apps sometimes, I need to make a text file or document for shortcuts in using some of them. '

If you are wanting to access your own information about apps, no doubt you are already aware

• you can add bookmarks that are links to "Files" on your local HDD
  • you may nest bookmarks, within folders; that can result in one bookmark folder on a toolbar producing drop down lists of other folders or individual bookmarks.
  • firefox 4 is still able to have a bookmarks toolbar (probably not visible, or not set up by default)
New Contributor

The auto resizing is not working. In the customization menu all the icons are set as I wish but close that and the address bar resumes size and the extra icons that have been selected are covered up. I don't find a way to shrink the humongous, way too long address bar down.

Site Moderator

Maybe you can include a screen shot of the menu how you would like it, before it resumes size, and another after it has resumed size. I do not for instance know if

• the location bar has a minimum size;
    if so you may be trying to reduce below that (what happens for instance in Firefox 4 if you try to reduce the bar to say four characters length)
  • how many icons you are trying to arrange on the navigation bar,
    you may have many more icons available in your setup than the standard firefox 4 default setup .
  • whether you are using only icons or text & icons, large or small icons
  • the size of your screen, and what adjustments or preferences are used.
New Contributor

John99,

I am trying to place 8 icons to the left of the address bar, these are the arrow back and forward, Print, Reload, Stop, Home, Bookmarks, and ADP (Adblock Plus).

I have tried many different options but do only want small icons. In the customization menu they all show but as soon as that is closed the address bar resumes hogging most of the space and only two or three of the icons show to the left of the address/location/url bar. This is the case on a 24" and on a 27" monitor

Site Moderator

I was wondering wheter you may have been closing the customisation without clicking on 'Done'

Seems odd. I am able to set up Firefox 3.6 with seven or so icons to the left. When I try something similar to the customisation you atempted I also loose an icon; in the customisation I tried [X] "stop" icon disapears.

I have uploaded screen shots demonstrating this.

This could be a bug with firefox 4, but I can not guarantee I tried the latest build, and did not try in firefox safemode.

2011-03-24-15-18-05-1a5740.JPG 2011-03-24-15-18-28-a3598b.JPG