cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 text on web sites looks blurry.

Highlighted
New Contributor

On Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 text on web sites looks blurry.

I didn't notice this issue with earlier betas of FF 4 so I guess the problem came up when I upgraded from version FF 4.0 Beta 4 to Beta 5. I don't have this problem on Chrome 7.0.517.0 dev or IE 8.

Just an FYI: My video card is an XFX Radeon HD 5850 running the ATI Catalyst version 10.8 driver.

26 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: On Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 text on web sites looks blurry.

The font rendering has changed due to hardware acceleration, you can revert to the old fonts by turning off hardware acceleration.

In the Options dialog, select the Advanced panel. Then open the General tab for the setting to turn off hardware acceleration.

New Contributor

Thanks, TonyE. I did what you advised and yes that corrected the blurriness issue. However, by disabling hardware acceleration am I losing out on the benefits of that feature or is the improvement so slight it's not that helpful to run HA? If i am losing out on performance by turning off HA I hope that FF can work out this issue.

(The blurriness before I turned off HA reminded me of what it looks like when too much font smoothing is applied.)

Just a bit more info on my system if needed: Processor - Intel i7-930; RAM - 6 GB Corsair Dominator.

Site Moderator

See this MozillaZine forums thread:
Direct2D & DirectWrite HW Acceleration For Minefield - Info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1775755

New Contributor

Hi,

I do have the same problem with Firefox 4 Beta 7 on Mac Snow Leopard!

Switching of makes the font normal readable, switching on Hardware Acceleration makes the font blurry! I followed the links and have not seen the issues on the thested sites in the Forum Thread mentioned.

Nevertheless on my personal blog http://blog.gotchi.at there this problem still exists and I do not know how to fix that.

New Contributor

It looks aweful.

I've used firefox for over 5 years but this text issue is what is going to make me switch to another browser.

Even IE9 beta which also has hardware accelleration doesn't have this problem.

Site Moderator

You can set the pref gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to false on the about:config page.

New Contributor

I have this same problem on Firefox Beta 7 - it's making my eyes hurt after using it for about half an hour.

I can't even disable hardware acceleration because Firefox crashes every time I try to.

Regular Contributor

If you want to disable HW acceleration without crash, type about:blank in the location bar and then disable HW acceleration in Options window.

But the better workaround is the one with gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled pref (font rendering) as it keeps Direct2D acceleration (image and video rendering).

New Contributor

I have read through everything but i simply just can't enjoy FF 4 BETA 8 because the font just won't render correctly like in FF 3.6 and below. I have tried disabling HW acceleration but i loose the full power of the browser which i don't like and if i disable gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled it still shows up the same for me.

I would love to move forward but its just very hard on my eyes trying to read blurry text.