cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install a search engine in Firefox? I have no search engines...no Google, no Yahoo, nothing.

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I install a search engine in Firefox? I have no search engines...no Google, no Yahoo, nothing.

One day I opened up Firefox, tried to search for something, and the search would not work. I soon realized that I had no search engines installed. They'd all disappeared. I did nothing to make them disappear as far as I know. I've tried to find any search engines to install, but can find only search engine enhancers.

3 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I install a search engine in Firefox? I have no search engines...no Google, no Yahoo, nothing.

You can try to delete search.sqlite and search.json in the Firefox Profile Folder
You can also check the browser.search.* prefs on the about:config page and reset the ones that appear bold (user set).

1. Left-click the search engines icon on the search bar
  2. Open "Manage Search Engines"
  3. Click "Restore Defaults"

Look here for additional search engines: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I install a search engine in Firefox? I have no search engines...no Google, no Yahoo, nothing.

It is a known issue caused randomly by the Feedback extension.

Disable or remove it to prevent future occurrences of the problem.

New Contributor

Thank you! I had been to that dialog before but didn't know there was a "Restore Defaults" button because it wasn't showing. However, when I resized the dialog the button magically appeared, even though there had been no scroll bars or any other indication that the dialog wasn't big enough for its controls.